Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trelab Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Lutron Maestro Controller - Hampton Bay Brookendale
    Hello, I recently purchased a Lutron Maestro fan/light speed dimmer multi location system in order to have two-location hardwire control and no remote control/battery issues. I removed the Hampton Bay canopy control module and installed the Lutron canopy control module- the trouble is there are more wires going to the Hampton Bay motor and lights than the Lutron module has outputs. I took a guess based on the Lutron instructions , but failed- the result lights are on all the time with no switching and no fan. Before I take apart and take down the fan again for some more trial and error- I am hoping someone here has tried this method successfully and could share a wiring diagram to connect (or not) the 8 Hampton Bay wires to the 4 Lutron wires. Hopefully I didn't just butcher my ceiling fan- although after reading all the issues with Hampton Bay- I wish I had purchased a better fan.

I wrote Rhine electronics in Taiwan for a wiring diagram and am hoping for a reply. Rhine is the maker of the control module (in this case model UC7058RY) in the Hampton Bay fan. I also called Hampton Bay and after only 3 run arounds got in touch with the correct manufacturer (out of approximately 200) for this particular model. They said they don't have a wiring diagram and I would have to contact the factory in China (maybe Taiwan). Still hopeful someone here has a functional recommendation.

Thanks,

Brent

Oct 3, 2008, 12:38 PM

The controller link with picture is here RHINE
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 02:03 PM

What 8 wires does your Hampton Bay receiver have? How many lights does the fan have and are they controlled separately i.e. an uplight?

Oct 3, 2008, 02:42 PM

Fan: 3 speed + reverse 3 speed
    Light: 3 light sockets on same circuit (no uplight or separate light)

On the Rhine controller from the Hampton:

Larger diameter wires:
    Blue
    White

Connection block:
    White
    Pink
    Red
    Yellow
    Gray
    Black

And a black ground wire to the controller.

On the fan itself:
    White
    Black
    Yellow
    Pink
    Red
    Gray

I connected the following on the fan + Lutron controller:

Line (blk) to: black on lutron, black on fan... perhaps I should disconnect the black on the fan and cap it.
    Neutral (white) to: white on Lutron, white on fan
    Yellow Lutron to yellow on fan (presumed fan)
    Red on Lutron to red on fan (presumed light)
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:05 PM

Ok. You can't use any receiver with this fan except the original or a direct replacement.

Put the original receiver back in. Then, try to find an RF wall switch that "talks" to it. You will have to take the Luton system back.

Oct 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    I think I would rather replace the fan and find a better one. This is not quite the solution I was hoping for. The control module I removed is the RF receiver, reverse module, etc. What I would like a wiring diagram for is what the specific wires go to or do then it would be easier to figure out. I think I will try some trial and error unless you have a reason that what I am attempting won't work. Thanks.

Brent
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 08:48 PM

There are electronics in the receiver that are needed that are not in the Lutron receiver.

There are much better fans out there than Hampton Bay.

Oct 3, 2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks. Can you be more specific. What is missing in the Lutron? A starter? I am hoping to learn something here for all this time frustratingly invested. Thanks also for your time.
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 02:44 PM

The capacitor and appropriate switches (usually a relay for the reverse function) that is required for the motor to run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multimedia Controller/Multimedia Vedio Controller [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, I use Kobian PVM7 Desktop PC. I add a mercury internal TV card and installed the software. But it is not working. When I see the device Manager then I saw that Multimedia contriller & Multimedia Vedio Controller driver not Installed. I try but that is not working. Now What should I do?...

Lutron Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought several of the Lutron Dimmer switch from Home Depot. One that has on/off along with a sliding dimmer. When the switch is in OFF position, it has has little led that lit up servicing as a locator in the dark. I'm simply just replacing these with an existing Leviton switch...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan with remote controller [ 5 Answers ]

I just installed a HB ceiling fan with light package and purchased a separate remote controller. The fan portion seems to work fine and responds to the remote, but the light is not. The light will only come on very dim, like there is very little power getting to it. If I only run one bulb, it is a...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan works great... Until I add the remote controller unit. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm the "proud" owner of a Southwind V ceiling fan. I'm a pretty cautious person by nature so when I installed the ceiling fan I left out the optional remote controller piece to make sure all works well. Blue and black fan wires to the black wire in the wirebox, and white on white (grounds...

View more questions Search