Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handymanTaylor Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan with remote controller
    I just installed a HB ceiling fan with light package and purchased a separate remote controller. The fan portion seems to work fine and responds to the remote, but the light is not. The light will only come on very dim, like there is very little power getting to it. If I only run one bulb, it is a little brighter, but clearly there is a problem. And the only time the light will come on is if the fan is running on the lowest speed. Also, the fan has a bit of a hum if the light is on at the same time as the fan.

I am sure there is some sort of a wiring problem, but this seems strange to me. I purchased an identical fan and put the other light package on this fan, and it functions the same, so I don't think it is the actual light package. Any idea of what the problem might be?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Before we get into diagnostics try holding down the remotes light button for about 6 seconds. Did this help, if not just come back here and we'll walk you through a few more steps.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I think your white wire is not connected, either in the switch housing or in the canopy.
    Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Aug 6, 2007, 09:36 PM
    The remote will only control the light when the fan speed is set to low. Then if the "light" button is held down, it will cycle the bulbs from about 15% brightness to 0%. And if you tap the button, it will turn the dim bulbs on and off.

If my white wire was not connected, the fan wouldn't work...

?

Aug 7, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Okay guys, I got it working properly now. I got to thinking about my problem and ceilingfanrepair guy's idea that the white wire was not connected. The fan has a 6' pole, so I had to extend the wires. The wires I used weren't color coded, but I thought I had kept them straight based on some very small writing on one side of a pair I fed through. BUT, the white and black were reversed! So that meant that the light package would only get a trickle current from the white side of the wire when the fan was on.

I woke up this morning, reversed the black and white wire connections (on the output side of the remote), and it works perfectly now.

Thanks for your help that got me thinking...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Glad you got it working.

Actually, if the white wire wasn't connected, the fan would only work when the light is on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan remote [ 26 Answers ]

We have missplaced our remote for ceiling fan. Fan will not work. Have another remote for other fan but will not work on this fan. Can I secure a remote that will work fan? Please help Hot in bed

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I just installed a Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling fan. It has no pull chains, just remote. I set the dip switches To match(1010) on both, put new duracell battery in remote. The remote hardly works, If I hold the remote right near where I know The receiver is, it sometmes works. I assume any...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan with Remote [ 4 Answers ]

We just replaced an existing ceiling fan with a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with remote. When using the remote, the lights can be turned on and dimmed. The fan speed changes with the brightness of the lights. (If the lights are dimmed the fan is slow - as you increase the light the fan speeds up). We...

Hampton bay remote ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

The light on my ceiling fan does not work. I changed the bulb. I also changed the batteries on the remote control to no avail.

Hampton Bay ceiling fan works great... Until I add the remote controller unit. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm the "proud" owner of a Southwind V ceiling fan. I'm a pretty cautious person by nature so when I installed the ceiling fan I left out the optional remote controller piece to make sure all works well. Blue and black fan wires to the black wire in the wirebox, and white on white (grounds...

View more questions Search