Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Electrical & Lighting (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Lutron Maestro Controller - Hampton Bay Brookendale (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=266018)

• Oct 3, 2008, 11:48 AM
    trelab
    Lutron Maestro Controller - Hampton Bay Brookendale
    Hello, I recently purchased a Lutron Maestro fan/light speed dimmer multi location system in order to have two-location hardwire control and no remote control/battery issues. I removed the Hampton Bay canopy control module and installed the Lutron canopy control module- the trouble is there are more wires going to the Hampton Bay motor and lights than the Lutron module has outputs. I took a guess based on the Lutron instructions , but failed- the result lights are on all the time with no switching and no fan. Before I take apart and take down the fan again for some more trial and error- I am hoping someone here has tried this method successfully and could share a wiring diagram to connect (or not) the 8 Hampton Bay wires to the 4 Lutron wires. Hopefully I didn't just butcher my ceiling fan- although after reading all the issues with Hampton Bay- I wish I had purchased a better fan.

I wrote Rhine electronics in Taiwan for a wiring diagram and am hoping for a reply. Rhine is the maker of the control module (in this case model UC7058RY) in the Hampton Bay fan. I also called Hampton Bay and after only 3 run arounds got in touch with the correct manufacturer (out of approximately 200) for this particular model. They said they don't have a wiring diagram and I would have to contact the factory in China (maybe Taiwan). Still hopeful someone here has a functional recommendation.

Thanks,

Brent
  • Oct 3, 2008, 12:38 PM
    trelab

The controller link with picture is here RHINE
  • Oct 3, 2008, 02:03 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

What 8 wires does your Hampton Bay receiver have? How many lights does the fan have and are they controlled separately i.e. an uplight?
  • Oct 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
    trelab

Fan: 3 speed + reverse 3 speed
    Light: 3 light sockets on same circuit (no uplight or separate light)

On the Rhine controller from the Hampton:

Larger diameter wires:
    Blue
    White

Connection block:
    White
    Pink
    Red
    Yellow
    Gray
    Black

And a black ground wire to the controller.

On the fan itself:
    White
    Black
    Yellow
    Pink
    Red
    Gray

I connected the following on the fan + Lutron controller:

Line (blk) to: black on lutron, black on fan... perhaps I should disconnect the black on the fan and cap it.
    Neutral (white) to: white on Lutron, white on fan
    Yellow Lutron to yellow on fan (presumed fan)
    Red on Lutron to red on fan (presumed light)
  • Oct 3, 2008, 07:05 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

Ok. You can't use any receiver with this fan except the original or a direct replacement.

Put the original receiver back in. Then, try to find an RF wall switch that "talks" to it. You will have to take the Luton system back.
  • Oct 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    trelab
    I think I would rather replace the fan and find a better one. This is not quite the solution I was hoping for. The control module I removed is the RF receiver, reverse module, etc. What I would like a wiring diagram for is what the specific wires go to or do then it would be easier to figure out. I think I will try some trial and error unless you have a reason that what I am attempting won't work. Thanks.

Brent
  • Oct 3, 2008, 08:48 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

There are electronics in the receiver that are needed that are not in the Lutron receiver.

There are much better fans out there than Hampton Bay.
  • Oct 3, 2008, 10:21 PM
    trelab

Thanks. Can you be more specific. What is missing in the Lutron? A starter? I am hoping to learn something here for all this time frustratingly invested. Thanks also for your time.
  • Oct 6, 2008, 02:44 PM
    ceilingfanrepair

The capacitor and appropriate switches (usually a relay for the reverse function) that is required for the motor to run.