Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmr123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Time Belt Replacement On a Mazda Truck
    My sister who is on disability, who owns a Mazda Truck time belt broke when she was driving. She had the timing belt replaced. Now the car has no compression on the engine to start it her mechanic claims. He said the valves got bent or something. Is he trying to rip off my disable sister, or can this happen? Thanks Jeffrey & Barbara
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 07:01 AM

You are right to be cautious when it comes to auto repairs.
    But, to answer your question, yes, the valve train is likely damaged and will need extensive repairs, perhaps even a cylinder head if it's damaged too severely.

Who would simply replace the timing belt without investigating or recommending further diagnosis?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 07:18 AM

Agree with CaptainRich--unbelievable! A good rule of thumb is take it to the dealer, when you are facing major engine or transmission work.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Mar 18, 2010, 12:43 PM

Wait a minute here guys.. How would they have been able to do a compression test w/o a functioning timing belt? Now if they waited to button EVERYTHING up before they condemned the engine, I'd be a little leery.

As far as taking it to the dealer. There are plenty of crooked dealer techs and just as many honest mechanics at smaller independent shops. Just so you know, I am not trying to flame dealer techs, I am one.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 08:03 AM

To answer your question, Dragonslayer, whoever did the t-belt should have known with t-belt failure, you will likely get damaged a valve train. Verifying suspected damage by close visual inspection wouldn't take much.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 08:18 AM

Agree. Common sense says inspect for possible valve and head damage.
    Dragonslayer Posts: 61, Reputation: 4

Mar 23, 2010, 08:20 AM

I respectfully disagree with you. In all of my years, I've seen plenty of non-interference engines. I've also seen plenty of interference engines survive a broken timing belt where customers choose to give up on said vehicle only to have the techs purchase them for $300 and throw on a belt at the end of the day to have a cheap running vehicle the next day. Again, if all they did was to throw on a belt, time it, and ran a compression test, you shouldn't simply accuse them of being crooks.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 08:22 AM

How do you spell malpractice?
    RUSTYSHACKLEFOR Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 11:03 AM

I agree completely with Dragonslayer. There is a good chance that it was cheaper to put a belt on and THEN test for compression etc. than it would be to pull the valve cover, remove what is needed to close valves and check for leakage. I run in to this senario often. Unless the damage is obvious I give the customer the choice, and 9 out of 10 times they will opt to pay 1-2 hours vs pulling a head especially if the vehicle is on its last leg to begin with. Yes this depends greatly on the engine. We don't know what year this truck is or what engine is in it, or what the repair shop and the lady discussed before the truck was looked at. As usual there are some BIG assumptions being made with very limited information. And we all know what happens when you assume something.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 11:29 AM

That's right. You make full-disclosure and give the customer a choice; otherwise, it's malpractice to replace the T-Belt, take the money, and disclose, after the fact, the possibility of valve and head damage. However, that sounds like what was done in this situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to check out a clutch on mazda truck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Mazda B2500 that when I press my clutch it still doesn't want to come out of gear. I have to turn the truck off to get it out of gear and in gear. Any suggestions?

How to tighten a alternator belt on a 2001 mazda b3000 [ 1 Answers ]

I tried spraying some belt degreaser and it seemed to help until I got down the road, anyway it's a 2001 mazda b3000 dual sport 2wd and I cannot figure out how to tighten the alternator fan belt on it, the alternator does not rotate up or down so I cannot tighten the belt, if you know please let me...

Mazda Truck wearing inside of front tires [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone tell me the most foolproof way to check ball joint on a mazda pickup

Why is my 1987 Mazda B2000 truck overheating? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought the truck not even a year ago. Its got a brand new paint job, head gasket, water pump, slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, and thermostat but I can't figure out why it's still overheating it might be the radiator but I done flushed it and all that I might need to buy a new one any help...

View more questions Search