Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjo516 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
    The thermostat is missing from the house I am buying.
    How do I install a new thermostat to the unmarked wires that were left sticking out of the wall?
    worthit38 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 12:19 PM
    There should be 4 wires, red is hot and hooks to R terminal, white is heat and hooks to W terminal, Green is blower and hooks to G terminal, last color can be blue or yellow which is a/c and it hooks to Y terminal
    kjo516 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Thank you SO much. I spent an hour reading "how to install a new thermostat" articles and never saw one that mentioned the 'alphabet'.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 05:01 PM
    How many wires are sticking out the wall and what colors are they?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Worth. I agree completely. However, we really need to know what type of system they have.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2011, 07:23 PM
    You need to know, before you go to hooking up wires, 1st kill the breaker to the furnace,, then at the furnace end see what each wire and color are hooked to
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Kjo, it does not work that way. You tell us how many wires and the colors and then we can tell you how to connect them to a stat. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...eat-58313.html Tell us the type and brand or model of your frnace and if it has AC, that would help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

Buying a house [ 2 Answers ]

How would I buy a house for the back taxes

Buying a house [ 23 Answers ]

I think most of you have had experience on buying a house at some point your life. I haven't made my final decision whether I am buying it within the next 6 month or not. I am looking for any advice to assist me being first home buyer. Any input/tips will be appreciated, if you don't think...

Buying a replacement thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and discovered that the thermostats do not work in all of the rooms. I have ceiling coil heat and when I looked for replacement thermostats all of them said "electric baseboard heat" not ceiling heat. The current model we have is a Mears Model M411 with single line break...

View more questions Search