Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keh154 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Buying a replacement thermostat
    I recently bought a house and discovered that the thermostats do not work in all of the rooms. I have ceiling coil heat and when I looked for replacement thermostats all of them said "electric baseboard heat" not ceiling heat. The current model we have is a Mears Model M411 with single line break 120/240 vac. I would like something universal but under $35 if that is possible. We have 11 thermastats throughout the house and I would eventually like to replace all of them so it's consistent in each room. So, the question really is: can I use "electric baseboard heat" thermostats for ceiling heat?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2007, 06:45 AM
    I don't see why not. Just match the voltage and watts. If it is a 240 volt system, it would be better to use a 2 pole thermostat if you have all 4 wires run to the thermostat. If you only break one pole, the entire circuit is hot even with the thermostat off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing the Replacement Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to replace my current thermostat with a programmable one. I a have a multistge heat pump system and the thermostat has 6 wires going to it. Y G O R W2 and E. How do I decide which is the correct thermostat to use.

RUUD Thermostat Replacement.. Please Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have two old mercury thermostats installed in my two story house. Wiring is as below G , R , B , Y, X , E for first floor G , R , B , Y ,X, W and E have jumper connection 2nd floor. I want to replace these with digital thermostats. Which thermostat I should buy to...

Buying a replacement furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a cape cod style home. I currently have a lennox gas furnace Which is 18 years old and the electronic ignition is going bad. I have been looking at the following: Lennox (80 percent) Carrier, and Goodman. I only plan to stay in the home for 3 to 5 yrs. More. The house is 52 yrs. Old....

Wiring a replacement Honeywell Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Honeywell Vision 5-1-1 Day programmable thermostat to replace a Lennox thermostat (51H4301). This is an all electric heat pump type unit (Lennox HP 21-511-5P). According to the Honeywell manual, if the old thermostat has wires W1, Y1 and W2, some system modification is required. Call...

2-wire thermostat replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing an old honeywell thermostat (2-wire) with awhite-rodgers programmable thermostat. The old thermostat wires are not marked on the thermostat and they are blue and white. The conections at the furnace (anthes) are blue TH and White TR. The new thermostat has rh rc (jumped together)...

View more questions Search