Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyb123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 10:35 PM
    No final paycheck until I return my badge and training binder
    The operations manager who fired me this week has just threatened to not give me my final paycheck until I return a training binder and my name badge to them. Is that legal for them to do? What if I didn't feel like driving the 60 miles to take these items back to them? Can they really by law not ever pay me for the last week I worked? I was happy to return them but I don't appreciate being threatened to not be paid.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 11:35 PM

Those two items are company property. If you don't return them, your paycheck will serve as at least some payment for them. I'm betting the company can sue you too.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 03:53 AM
    It may very well be determined by which state you are in.

Check this out:

Legal Implications of Wage Withholding - Entrepreneur.com

There are more links here, that might be helpful.

withholding paycheck for return of company property legal - Google Search
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 06:52 AM

Hello Patyb -sory to hear about your employment situation. I'm sure you're feeling like your former employer is being a bit obnoxious about this, and perhaps they are. But my advise is this is not the time to burn bridges - this is not a battle worth winning. I suggest that you talk to your former supervisor and work out a way to return the items without having to drive 60 miles - perhaps you can mail the items back, or maybe meet someplace half way.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2009, 11:59 AM

Lots of employers want their property back before the last paycheck is released. It's an incentive on the part of the employee to return the items. You should have returned these items the day you were fired. What's so awful about driving 60 miles? You did this task how many weeks, months, years? So what's the big deal now? If is is a money issue in that you have none for gasoline, then go to the post office and mail the items back.
    elvendur Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Those two items are company property. If you don't return them, your paycheck will serve as at least some payment for them. I'm betting the company can sue you too.
    Sorry Wondergirl, but it is utterly illegal for his last job to withhold his paycheck. If they want to have their property back and he refuses return it, they have to take him to court for the property.

Once again they may NOT for any reason withhold his paycheck for property, they must take him to court
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 11:26 AM

If you don't feel like driving 60 miles why don't you mail it to them. Send it so that someone has to sign for it.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyb123 View Post
    What if I didn't feel like driving the 60 miles to take these items back to them?
    That statement can swing both ways. What if they "didn't feel" like paying you? That's not how it works.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Companies do every day withhold pay for lost, stolen or other company property, a loss of a company key could cost you 100's of dollars in re=key.

So if he says he will hold it, he will hold it most likely, and he will deduct the amount of the non returned items.

I have done this myself dozens of times to employees.

In some places it may not be legal, but to be honest the company will say, so what, at best you sue them for your check, and win but they bet you won't
    Also be careful of what you may have signed, many places as part of the hiring process have you sign dozens of papers, many include the right to withhold from your check lost items.

When I left the State of Georgia, I had lost the government issue rain coat, they held out 60 bucks from my last check, this is the state doing it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elvendur View Post
    sorry Wondergirl, but it is utterly illegal for his last job to withhold his paycheck. if they want to have their property back and he refuses return it, they have to take him to court for the property.

once again they may NOT for any reason withhold his paycheck for property, they must take him to court

Without more information such as contracts and employment agreements you cannot be certain you are 100% correct.

I have also seen employment applications, usually for gas stations and similar operations, which state specifically that the employee agrees to return the keys before receiving a final paycheck.

My guess is that the company will withhold the paycheck and put the OP in the position of either reuturning the company's property OR suing for the paycheck. By the time Wage and Hour (if you are correct) gets into this it will be two years from now. Makes no sense.

Would you please post your source concerning the illegality of withholding from salary until property is returned in the various States?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2009, 04:54 PM

Update: Employee in Rochester, NY was arrested yesterday for unlawful conversion and theft of property. From what I read he was terminated, refused to return company property, company had him arrested. I have no idea what was done about the final paycheck.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 05:24 PM

Chuck made a good point about the packet of paperwork when you are hired for the job. I know that when I worked security while in college and when I left the job, receiving my last paycheck was conditional upon me returning the uniform (dry-cleaned) and badges, etc. I specifically recall signing a form agreeing to this.

At this point, why not just suck it up and return the company property? Mail it, drive the 60 miles... just get it over with so you can get your paycheck.

Choose your battles.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of shares for disposal on a final tax return [ 3 Answers ]

I have to record a disposal of some shares on an individual's final return. These shares Were received May 15, 2002 but they split in May 2005 and the person died Oct 2007. How is the cost and gain of these shares recorded when there has been a split?

Truck driver Lives paycheck to paycheck, do you relate? [ 9 Answers ]

I am an over the road truck driver now and I Live check to check, bad credit, No savings. Overwhelming bills with constant calls you avoid, rent, insurance,mouths to feed,past due on owed taxes, past due car tabs, car payment that has upside down loan, so I cannot sell the car.. I pay most...

Final return - S-Corporation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing the final return for our Travel Agency, an S-Corporation. We closed the business April of last year as we were unable to sell it. As of the end of 2005 all that remains on the Balance Sheet is Assets - Cash $14 and Intangible Assets less Accumulated Amortization $21,729 . ...

Final Return For Decedent - Capital Gains? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: My mother-in-law passed away on July 23rd. Just prior to her passing, she had sold her home/apartment buildings for $220K. She had an $80K basis in that property, which is what it was worth when it was built in the 1960's. She lived in the apartment building she owned in 2 of 12 units, or...

View more questions Search