Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josiegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Cost of shares for disposal on a final tax return
    I have to record a disposal of some shares on an individual's final return. These shares
    Were received May 15, 2002 but they split in May 2005 and the person died Oct 2007.
    How is the cost and gain of these shares recorded when there has been a split?
    xxluvmexxhatemexx Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Mar 17, 2008, 04:15 PM
    I don't know ask someoune that is an accounter or someone close to you
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 12:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxluvmexxhatemexx
    i dont know ask someoune that is an accounter or someone close to you
    Um... that's kind of why we're at the site, to answer questions like this. There are accountants and tax people on this site, who are here to help with this stuff.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 12:56 AM
    josie, you might get more attention for this if you posted in on the tax forum.

I can explain a stock split to you, but I've never had to handle one on taxes so not sure exactly how that is done. (I'm not a tax expert, and my own investing is limited to mutual funds, not individual stocks.)

Let's say you purchased 100 shares of a stock selling at $36 per share. So that's $3600. If you have a 2:1 split, that means each share of stock is now 2 shares. So that 100 shares becomes 200 shares. But it also means it's worth half as much. So instead of being $36 per share it's now $18 per share. And $18 x 200 shares is still $3600. So the total hasn't changed. You just have twice as many shares worth half as much each.

So whatever the split, you multiply the number of shares, and divide the cost. So for a 5:1 split, you multiply shares by 5 and divide cost by 5. Etc.

I did a quickie search on the IRS site, and looks like you'd treat this at the split price, which is what I suspected. i.e. in my example above, you'd use $18 as your cost basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating return on shares of mutual fund [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this question is to advance for this board but here goes nothing. I been trying to do this question for a while and just can't seem to come up with the formula. If you post the answer can you also please post the formula so I see how you got to that answer. You purchased shares...

Tax deducted in US for Shares sold [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am a chartered accountant from India and a resident in India. I held some shares in a company listed on Nasdaq , when I sold the shares the broker deducted some tax from the sale proceeds before remitting it to me in India. I wish to know the Taxation treaty between India and US as I need...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Final return - S-Corporation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am doing the final return for our Travel Agency, an S-Corporation. We closed the business April of last year as we were unable to sell it. As of the end of 2005 all that remains on the Balance Sheet is Assets - Cash $14 and Intangible Assets less Accumulated Amortization $21,729 . ...

Final Return For Decedent - Capital Gains? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: My mother-in-law passed away on July 23rd. Just prior to her passing, she had sold her home/apartment buildings for $220K. She had an $80K basis in that property, which is what it was worth when it was built in the 1960's. She lived in the apartment building she owned in 2 of 12 units, or...

View more questions Search