Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdizzo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Alabama Tax Lien Law Change
    I'm hearing that there is a new Alabama law that affects tax liens investors, and not in a good way. Can someone point me to this new law change?

Thanks in advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 07:32 PM

Do you mean buying properties at tax sales ?

I don't see any changes since the 2006 laws went into effect, They still issue certificates, 12 percent interest if redeemed,

They do have the ability to purchase certificates issued to the state ( no bids at sale equal to tax amount)

I have made some of my best money on tax sale properties in that state.

Nov 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I have some tax liens in Alabama, but supposedly there is a new law change that I can't find.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 07:43 PM

Bought a couple this year and saw no changes, I reviewed the State and a couple county web sites and see no changes listed.

Perhaps it is still just a bill that has not passed yet,

Buying listed property that did not sale at auction is not bad to do, it is all listed on one state web site and easy to do also, still works the same way.

And of course any new law should have no effect on past sales

Nov 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
    I finally found it, tell me what you think - http://ali.state.al.us/documents/2009-session-summary-july2009.pdf
    I don't like the second part - The owner who remains in possession after the sale may always redeem.- is this even on lots and acres?

AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 10:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdizzo View Post
    I finally found it, tell me what you think - http://ali.state.al.us/documents/200...y-july2009.pdf
    I don't like the second part - The owner who remains in possession after the sale may always redeem.- is this even on lots and acres?
    What you linked to is just a summary. I can't find the actual text of the bill (the legislature's site only has this, apparently), and the online code doesn't appear to be up to date to include the 2009 session.

But I'm guessing that what it means by "2. The owner who remains in possession after the sale may always redeem" is this: the purchaser has to have evicted the former owner before the former owner's redemption rights can expire.

Dec 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
    Got some answers from downtown; if you have a lien that has a house or trailer on it, you can't gain possession of that property until it's vacant. Also, the redemption time was increased from 3 years to 6 years -- ouch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the Alabama law on signing over rights as a father [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has twins that are 14 months old. The woman keeps taking him back to court requesting more child support. We already pay over half of his salary to her. She is now trying to say that the twins are "special need" and that the only time my husband can see them is by himself at her...

Alabama law on college support [ 1 Answers ]

I am a farther that paid every penny of my child support and my "X" even took me back for more after my daughters 16th birthday. My daughter is 19 and in college. Now my "x" claims that she has paid 16,000 in college expenses and I am court ordered to pay half. I have never seen a bill, my...

Construction lien law [ 1 Answers ]

I am a construction contractor in the state of Oregon. I have hired a cabinet company to provide and install cabinets for a high end custom remodel. They began the install on Dec 14, 2008. There were and still are a number of problems with cabinets and have replaced some and we are still waiting...

State of Indiana Lien Law [ 2 Answers ]

Owner of property refuses to pay association fees. Home is up for sale. Can association file a lien on the property for amount of association fees? Is a judgement in small claims court required before the lien can be filed? How do you get the forms to file the lien? Are there any time...

Collection agency-law firm placed lien on property [ 12 Answers ]

I just read a post saying credit card companies usually cannot place a lien on property. I had a credit collector for a cc company place a lien on my property in December 06. Is this legal A summons was sent to me in October 2006, I responded, they said I didn't. I made several payments to the...

View more questions Search