Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrjademan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2013, 01:48 AM
    Is 19 inches to high for a kitchen sink drain pipe?
    Hi. My main question is my drain pipe roughed out to high at 19-1/2"? I just orderd new cabinets and a granite composite sink. I believe the cabinets are 34-1/2 inches to the top of cabinet or bottom the counter top where i want to install a under mount sink that is 9" deep. My big question is that my drain pipe is roughed out to 19-1/2 inches to bottom or 20-1/2" on center. Will this work?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 29, 2013, 03:51 AM
    19 1/2" to bottom of the sink? Or 19 1/2" off the floor, 6" below the bottom of the sink?
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Sep 29, 2013, 04:42 AM
    I would suggest doing a mock up; set the sink on a pair of saw horses, install the basket drain, tail piece, and trap...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 29, 2013, 06:20 AM
    If you are going to make an mistake, make it on the low side. You can always plumb down to the stub out. You can't plumb up to it.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
    If your drain pipe is at 20.5" to center off the FLOOR of the kitchen and you are NOT installing a disposal then you are all set. You should even have enough room to directly connect a threaded branch tailpiece to the sink strainer for the dishwasher (will probably need to cut this shorter, but will work).

If you are installing a disposal, the pipe will need to be lowered to 12-15" off the finish floor.

Mark
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Sep 29, 2013, 09:26 PM
    If it is a double bowl sink with a disposal 12"-13" off floor, single bowl 12"-15". It is better to be low than high

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken drain pipe under kitchen sink [ 13 Answers ]

Trying to remove the trap under the kitchen sink, I managed to break the pipe. Now the piece right behind the trap is stuck in the pipe that comes out of the wall, I cannot seem to pull it free. What's the best way to get this out?

Is My Plumbing/Drain to high for my new kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

I have a old house and I just remodeled the kitchen my friend told me I needed to move my drain in the wall down 6" and I really hope he is wrong, My drain is 2.5" below the bottom of my sink so to me it should work but the garbage disposal worries me a little the drain outlet on the garbage...

Kitchen sink drain pipe broken [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My mom lives in a pre-1900 house with add-ons built in the 1940's. The plumbing was added sometime after the 1940s additions. The kitchen sink when she moved in was from the 50s. The plumber she hired just scratched his head and did patch-up jobs, and the plumbers she's called...

Kitchen Sink J-Drain pipe broke [ 2 Answers ]

The J-drain pipe under my kitchen sink has rusted through and has a hole. While attempting to remove the old J-pipe, it basically disintegrated at the threads connecting the pipe to the pipe going to the wall. Now I can't get the thread off. Any suggestions? I have already tried to use WD-40 to...

Kitchen sink drain pipe leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a big leak under the kitchen floor, I went under the house and I can see the leak which is right in the center of the kitchen. The crawling space was very minimal and hard to get to the cast iron pipe. I was thinking about opening the kitchen floor which is wood to see if I can fix the...

View more questions Search