Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ryon_Henry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Is My Plumbing/Drain to high for my new kitchen sink
    I have a old house and I just remodeled the kitchen my friend told me I needed to move my drain in the wall down 6" and I really hope he is wrong, My drain is 2.5" below the bottom of my sink so to me it should work but the garbage disposal worries me a little the drain outlet on the garbage disposal will be about 4.5" below the drain so my question is will this work and will I end up with a drained sink but standing water in my disposal?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Hi Ryon

I think it is close , for sure!

Can you tell me the measure from the finish floor of the kitchen to the center of the drain... that will tell us more.

Mark
    Ryon_Henry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 08:14 PM
    Hi Mark, It's 23" from the floor to the center, it's a 1940 wood frame house with a crawl space I don't know if that makes a difference?

Thanks Ryon
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
    Hi Ryon

You can try a dry fit mockup here, but I'm really 100% sure that this isn't going to fly for you... *UGH*.

As you said, the disposal would have standing water in it all the time... if you could even get this connected at all.

My thought here would be to leave the drain up high and just cap it off and use it as a cleanout for the future when/if needed. Then install a new fitting for the sink at about 15" to center off the finish floor... most common height nowadays for disposal installations!

You owe your friend a beer!

Let me know how you make out, OK?

Mark

PS: You did vent the sink, didn't you? If not, at a minimum, install a mechanical vent (called an AAV) under the sink, OK?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing for kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have replace the plumbing twice for my 2 bolwl kitchen sink and it still gurgles

Kitchen Sink Drain - after water has been shut off in kitchen sink [ 0 Answers ]

After water has been shut off in kitchen sink, there is a continuous dripping for about two or three minutes in the drain pipes. It seems to happen only in the winter.

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Plumbing, Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

I had water in my kitchen sink last night. This morning my daughter was using the sink, water came out of the faucet, used the sprayer, which sprayed water, and suddenly the water stopped. There is nothing coming through the sprayer or the faucet. Cannot find water leaking anywhere. Tried...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search