Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macias1971 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2007, 04:35 AM
    What should I do with my fraidy cat Corgi?
    I have a 4 year old male Corgi who bolts every time a small dog gets near him. My problem is I recently rescued a puppy lab and my corgi is afraid of him. He just runs whenever the puppy tries to get near him. My corgi has gotten close to the lab puppy to sniff her and they have touched noses but he was very wary of the puppy however not aggressive even when the puppy cornered him he did not snap or growl in fear. He just runs. If the puppy stays how will I get them to coexist? Is it possible HELP :confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 05:29 AM
    What kind of socializing with other dogs have you done with your Corgi? If not much, his reaction is normal. If he has already started to investigate the lab, that is a good sign. Just leave him alone. You can't force interaction. The dogs will work it out between them. Your Corgi will get adjusted to the new addition in his own time. They may not bond too closely, or they may become close. Only time will tell on that. If they don't bond closely, that isn't a big deal. As long as you are recognized as the leader of the pack, they will find a way between them to co-exist. Just don't stress over it or you will create problems between them. They will feed off your stress. Remember that your Corgi was always number two in the pack and he is probably unsure of his ranking now. Feed him before you feed your new addition and give him the same amount of attention you always have. He will come around and adjust.

Oct 17, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macias1971
    I have a 4 year old male Corgi who bolts every time a small dog gets near him. My problem is I recently rescued a puppy lab and my corgi is afraid of him. He just runs whenever the puppy tries to get near him. My corgi has gotten close to the lab puppy to sniff her and they have touched noses but he was very wary of the puppy however not aggressive even when the puppy cornered him he did not snap or growl in fear. He just runs. If the puppy stays how will I get them to coexist? Is it possible HELP :confused:
    So crating the lab and feeding in the crate is a good idea?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 06:03 AM
    Yes, absolutely. Labman has a sticky at the top of this forum that gives a wealth of information on crating and more. Please take the time to read it. Here is a link: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2007, 07:20 AM
    It is so nice to find a tough question with a good answer. I might add the importance of early socialization. Puppies need each other and their mother at least until 6 weeks old, but then need to be getting out where they will be living. They still need additional time with other dogs, both ones that will enjoy playing with it and ones that will need left alone. Our 14 year old Lab has as little as possible to do with our 14 month old one. Saturday, we are inflicting the fifth new puppy on her since she came to live with us 4 years ago.

The Corgi's problems could be from before he came into your care. Until he welcomes the Lab's attention, give the puppy a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and offer it a chew toy as soon as it focuses on the Corgi. My daughter's 8 pound terrier mix didn't welcome the 2 Lab puppies and a Shepherd they have had, but survived.

Oct 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Thanks guys I'm feeling whloe lot better about my decision of keeping the puppy. I know I have some work ahead of me but I'm sure with patience and calm assertive energy we will all do fine.

On a side note, to answer your question labman: My Corgi had been with another dog with its previous owner but the bigger was a bit of a bully and the had a duchhound puppy but was not sure how he handled it. The woman who owned Buster the corgi was only looking for a ne home because she was being stationed somewhere else and he husband told her to get rid of Buster because they already had a dog at their ne location. The dog that bullied Buster as a puppy. The husband had left in Feb with one dog and wife stayed with Buster until she left until she left in July. While with her for few months Buster was totally spoiled and when we got him on the 24th of June it was clear that he didn't have any kind of discipline or boundries. So I had to establish that relationship with Buster and so far its working. He knows I am the pack leader.. he protests.. a lot but I correct him and let him know that's is not an acceptable behaver.

Sorry for that.. but that's the situation in our home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

New Corgi Puppy-vomiting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new Corgi puppy about 10 months old. I brought her home on Tuesday and she was excited and played well and ate well. I am feeding her dry puppy food. Yesterday I noticed that she was not eating her food but was eating grass. Now today she is vomiting up whole chunks food. Should I...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search