Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jms69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 04:40 PM
    New Corgi Puppy-vomiting
    I have a new Corgi puppy about 10 months old. I brought her home on Tuesday and she was excited and played well and ate well. I am feeding her dry puppy food. Yesterday I noticed that she was not eating her food but was eating grass. Now today she is vomiting up whole chunks food. Should I switch her food to something softer or do you think she was so excited that she ate too much too fast on Tuesday and I should wait. Is a vet visit necessary at this point. Please advise.

JMS:(
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Anytime you get a new pup I would recommend a vet check
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 31, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Any sudden switch of diet can cause digestive upsets. Were you continuing what it was being fed? Changing could be enough. Take a look at DocWill's post in https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/s...ppy-96835.html He may have good cause for leaving.

Once his stomach settles, you need to have him on a dry dog chow. If you are switching chows at 10 months, no real reason not to go to a dry adult chow. Eating too fast alone can upset the stomach. There are 2 easy, proven ways to slow down a fast eater, spread the chow out on a cookie sheet or something or put large rocks in the food dish. Some of my friends just throw the chow on the floor of the crate.

Even at 10 months, you may find some of the material useful at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

You don't want a dog taking a turn for the worse over a weekend when you don't have a relationship with a vet. You may want to talk about vacinations, heartworm, and fleas too. The vets have the best stuff.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Most explanations of why dogs do anything are highly speculative. Dogs may or may not eat grass to induce vomiting. They may eat if for the same reason they eat sticks, stones, leaves, acorns, plastic, and anything else they find.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Hence I said my opinion, but there are others as well.. apparently it has been happening for hundreds of years as couch grass is so well loved by dogs that its botanical name is Agrospyron canina (canis is dog). Some people believe that dogs eat the grass to help cleanse their bowels and for removal of worms.

Or you can find more below..

Why Dogs Eat Grass

pawsdogdaycare
    MrPippin Posts: 87, Reputation: 17
    -

Jun 1, 2007, 07:43 AM
    You are correct that I am speculating. I do this on the observation that my Roti does not eat sticks, stones, rocks or plastic. She does like to chew on a squeeky toy bar bell now and then but has never eaten it. However I have noticed her eating grass on a few occasions (Saint Augustine Grass or as those in the North call it - Crab Grass) and almost every time she has done it she vomits. I doubt she thinks to herself my belly hurts so I am going to eat grass. She is pretty stupid and I doubt she could think that way. But perhaps instintively she eats grass if she needs some fiber. Or perhaps not. This is only my opinion.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Most of what I know has come from working with dogs for over 35 years in training, boarding, breeding, grooming and rescuing them. I do not work for a company but am graded by my customers and the results I achieve with their dogs. I usually have an average of 20 dogs I am working with around me in a given day. I leave the vet stuff to to the vets, but will gladly answer your behavior problem questions. MrPippin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vomiting sick puppy [ 4 Answers ]

My puppy is 6 & 1/2 weeks old. We put a flea collar on her last night that specified "Do not use on puppies younger than 6 weeks". She has not eaten and has vomited quite a few times since then. She is taking in some water. We removed the collar at 6:30 am this morning, which was about 16 hrs....

Puppy diarrhea and vomiting [ 3 Answers ]

During the day I leave my 6 month old yorkie in a kennel. Today, when I came home she had diarrhea. Later on in the day she started vomiting. What do I do until I get her to a vet?

Dog Vomiting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my 1 and 1/2 year old mutt is very sick, he cannot get comfortable in any position, is crying and vomiting. When he sits he is raising his hind legs. Any help?

Puppy Vomiting [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a 9 week old puppy a few days ago. He has suddenly started to throw up his food today and he had a runny stool. He is still playing though. I gave him a bath yesterday. His body was still a little wet when I took him out to the bathroom in about 45 degree weather. Do you think the...

My cat keeps vomiting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there Please could someone help,I have an 8 yr old black cat who has been vomiting since Sunday evening at least 4-5 times a day.I usually give her tinned meat with a few dried biscuits on top for her meals.on Sunday I gave her a saucer full of dried biscuits as a treat.later that...

View more questions Search