Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 06:55 AM

Lol
    I start taking them out to quiet parks for a walk when they are 18 weeks.
    Mine gets their last boosters at 16 weeks, then I allow 2 weeks for the vaccinations to be fully effective.

Mine get carried into pet stores or around town before then, I just don't put them on the ground where there is a risk of catching something.

It's mostly just for socializing early on, not actual exercise.
    I spent about an hour at a park in the middle of town today with my pup (now 19 weeks) we just walked around the border then sat on the grass and watched people going past.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 10:47 AM

Ahh OK.. so really everyone has different opinions but its all to do with health and safety :D... in calgary there is a HUGE half forested dog park near the home.. when they get older I will be taking him there lol
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 10:55 AM

I probably should mention mine go to dog shows at 3 months of age (12 weeks) but it's a tad different there as all dogs MUST be vaccinated so the risk of transmitting diseases/viruses is a lot less than a regular dog park where some *cough*idiots*cough* take their unvaccinated dogs.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:06 AM

I would stay away from dog parks with a little puppy. Regular parks are OK.

Yes, puppy needs to be socialized... but typically, small puppies don't meet adult dogs until they're older. Around 5 months, you could start to introduce other dogs. Until then, I would just keep the pup to yourself. Socialize him with other people. Take him places. Go to city parks. Just steer clear from dog parks. There is just so much disease... Plus.. You need to bond with your dog. Don't worry about him meeting new dogs. He will have that chance when he's a bit older.

I always tell my students in my puppy classes that your dog doesn't have to meet every single dog for two reason.. 1st reason, that dog (or your dog) may not like to meet new dogs. 2nd reason, disease. A well socialized dog doesn't need to be friends with the world. A socialized dog is based on how well behaved the dog is in crowds of people. My bully is not the best with other dogs. She loves people. I take her everywhere. She ignores other dogs completely. She never offers to lunge, snap or growl at other dogs. She is a very social dog. Adores people and falls all over herself when I take her to pet stores. So please don't force your dog to "like" other dogs. If he loves other dogs, then great! If he's a bit more reserved and/or protective of his space, then you're going to have to teach him to ignore other dogs... Which, is not hard to do!
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:13 AM

Oh! And I found some info on your pup. Might want to check them out...

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/alapahab...odbulldogs.htm

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog

The Alapaha Blue-Blood Bulldog Association Official Website

I love weird breeds!
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:22 AM

Lucky.. thanks for the good advice... I've got all those already bookmarked lol actually :D I love weird breeds to .my last dog was a carolina dog
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:42 AM

That's cool. I own German Shorthaired Pointers. They use to be rare. Ever since "Carly" won the AKC breeders cup the breed became over bred.

I have a pit bull now. They're not necessarily rare, but they need a lot of help. People are so afraid of them and assume the worse of them. Its been kind of fun educating people on these guys.

My next dog, I want an American Bully. They're massive!
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:45 AM

Yea. I know a few people who have pointer crossbreeds.. I love american bullys.. Valley bull dogs are nice too but they are hard to find outside of canada and the maritime provences
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 03:10 PM

I am adding new photos of the pup on the album right now for everyone's information :D as I just received new photos now.. Eyes are open

EDIT

Also because I have forgotten to put this in yesterday... metallica steel... the dog on the main page of the bulldog breed info site you put in your post (bull dog breeds.com) the second link, lucy happens to be the mother of my puppies grandpappy... he is (or was I'm not sure if he's still around or not) owned by cattle rustler kennels I think though I'm not 100% sure on who is owners are

*second edit*

Got to love the edit button when you forget things..
    Ontop of the pictures I added the other day, I have also added two more pictures this morning that I have received. They are of my puppy and the one my aunt is getting together with each other :D and also one with them side by side (the first one of them together looks like my puppy is trying to crawl over his brother to be the star of the camera)
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:03 AM

Ok. Lol found out about whom he will be registered with. The ABBA... and only the ABBA.. as the ARF's Alapaha's are actually cross breeds and not pure breds.. got to love "merit" registering dogs
    Not
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2010, 12:48 PM

I've added new photos on my other thread in member discussions :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search