Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 04:36 PM
    Hello all,
    Hi, you all know me, from my posts about rebel and my various appearances around the forum.. I've got a few questions..

1) I've never owned a dog under a year old in a longg longgg time... how long should a pup be walked a day?. he will be ready to go to his new home around the middle of may, I am getting him at the end of may
    My aunt has bought him for me.. along with a pup for herself.

2) so far, he does not have a name at all... and I've never been that good with naming dogs lol.. so how could I decide what to name him. I don't want him to have a human sounding name, nor one that resembles words like no and things like that... I was thinking maybe native indian names... (he is being called apatchy right now because he is spotted all over and multiple colors)

3) he is a rare breed,. Alapha blue blood bulldog.. and I've never owned a bulldog before, I know both his sire and dam and know they have wonderful temperments. Though the female can be moody, when she's in heat..
    (This is her one and only litter, as she is being fixed afterwards) The breeder just didn't want her wonderful lines to go to waste, so they bred her once. Is there anything I should know about bullys in general.?. I've researched information about the breed, but you all are my family and I'd like your opinions also.. I will try and figure out how to post a photo of him (runs off and sees if she can add photos)
    I couldn't find out how so I put an album up... with a picture of him and of him and his siblings.. (9 pups. 7 males 2 females)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/member...7-apatchy.html
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 05:19 PM

He is one handsome fellow! If his name is the same as the Indian tribe, it's spelled Apache.

Dogs like short names that start with consonant sounds -- T and D and K and maybe B or P.

Will he have a fancy-pants name because of his bloodline?
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 05:23 PM

That's how the breeder spelled it lol... its just a nickname so she can tell them apart I don't want him to have a fancy pants name lol.. his mom is gypsy queen and his dad is Ikon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    thats how the breeder spelled it lol... its just a nickname so she can tell them apart i dont want him to have a fancy pants name lol.. his mom is gypsy queen and his dad is Ikon
    I'll figure then they were being cute because the dog has "patches" -- Apachy.

Is he AKC? If so, doesn't he have to be registered with a fancy-pants name like Lord Tyrone the Blessed of Reynoldsfield?
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 05:29 PM

He will be registered with ABBA or ARF I'm not sure which one is it right this minute and I'm too tired to think lol
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 05:29 PM

Ty or Tye
    Kam
    Keno
    Digger
    Patch
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 05:34 PM

Wow.. Those types of bull dogs cost a pretty penny. They're a really interesting breed. Not as fiesty as a typical bull dog or pit bull, but definitely has some spice to it.

I don't take puppies out for formal walks until 6 months old. There really is no reason why a 3-4 month old puppy needs to be on the ground where disease runs rampant. Take the puppy places, Yes, but don't put him on the ground until his 3rd shot. That's my rule of thumb anyway.

As for names. It all comes down to what you want. Try looking online at baby names. Typically, the names are categorized by different ethnicity, culture and what not.

Might want to look at some of these websites I found.

Raise a Puppy

Native American Baby Names & Meanings. Girl, Boy, Female, Male Names of Native American Origin

Bully Breed Advice
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 05:36 PM

Yea... he cost two thousand Canadian dollars.. so did his brother.. but my aunt got a 400 price knockoff for buying two from the same litter

Thank you for the information. That helps a lot. Especially since the pups will be in a city (calgary alberta ) and right now they are out in the country in a home in nova scotia
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 05:46 PM

No problem.

There are a couple breeders in the US. When I was searching for a dog, none of the breeders had pups on the grounds. They're really cool dogs.

I absolutely love my bully. She is so in tune with what I'm doing. She responds so quick and is so incredibly smart. I love her.

Really read up on the breed! If canadians are as sketchy about ANY type of dog that resembles a pittie like in the US, people are going to be asking you lost of questions and assuming your dog is mean. This is your opportunity to turn this little guy into an ambassador of the bully nation! Plus, its fun to prove people wrong about these guys, and how sweet they actually are.

Good luck with your baby.. I hope you enjoy him!
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    No problem.

There are a couple breeders in the US. When I was searching for a dog, none of the breeders had pups on the grounds. They're really cool dogs.

I absolutely love my bully. She is so in tune with what I'm doing. She responds so quick and is so incredibly smart. I love her.

Really read up on the breed! If canadians are as sketchy about ANY type of dog that resembles a pittie like in the US, people are going to be asking you lost of questions and assuming your dog is mean. This is your oportunity to turn this little guy into an ambassador of the bully nation! Plus, its fun to prove people wrong about these guys, and how sweet they actually are.

Good luck with your baby.. I hope you enjoy him!
    It seems like my pups parents are very in tune with their owners too. I've been around them since they were both pups themselves, I just haven't been there since I moved to new brunswick (and I'm moving back to calgary) here they are not so sketchy about anything that resembles pits but some people are afraid of dogs that look like that... In fact in ns there is a breed called the Valley bull.. mix between a pit and some sort of bulldog... and people come from all over canada to get them because since the crossbreed originated in ns they are cheaper than anywheres else in canada as they are so common... (if I remember correctly) Not only my pup will be an ambassador for the bully nation but my aunts as well.. LOL.. I am so excited about owning him as there is only one breeder for them in this country and they just started this year (I think I stated that already) I'm dancing in my pj's I'm so happy about getting him... I really am... I've researched the breed, learning about the background as plantation dogs.. the protective nature, how good they can be with children (though I do not have children)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 06:22 PM

The puppy will tell you his name, often within 36 hours of being home. The trick is for you to learn his language. It will make training much easier as well.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    The puppy will tell you his name, often within 36 hours of being home. The trick is for you to learn his language.
    Same for cats! -- at least the name they allow you to call them. They rarely divulge their REAL name.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:26 PM

I'll be seeing him before I take him home which will be nice... as I'll be down near where they live and I've always been good friends with them. They own a rottie, that I've talked about on the site before
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:27 PM

Aww what a cutie!

Unfortunately I know absolutely nothing about that breed as they are not recognized in Australia.

Why don't you stick with Apatchy, I think it's cute!
    My new puppy came already named... I could have changed it is I really wanted but I thought it was cute, his name is Cyrus - Pedigree name is Room to Zoom!
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:31 PM

It took me almost 2 months to settle on a name. I would come up with a name, and then it would seem to fit, but then I started to not like it.

It finally came down to Miley or Riley. I was walking her down a path and asked her what name she liked best. I said both names. She was very excited when I said Miley. So now my pittie is named after the next teen sensation... which by the way, was not intentional. When I got my pup, the name was being tossed around on the radio.. Never put any connection to anything but like the name!

So now I have Miley the Pit Bull.. :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks shaz... I thought about that and calling him "patch" for short.. but when I meet him a different name might come bursting forth.. we never know lol
    Wow they are not recognised in aussie land? Now that I didn't know
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2010, 06:36 PM

You aren't locked into any name, I had a HUGE list before I got my pup but then when he came I just stuck with what he had because it suited him... hours of browsing through names sites wasted! :D

Lucky - The breeder who named my dog Cyrus named his sister Miley... Miley Cyrus :D sad lol
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 02:23 AM

True, I do agree with you there shaz. You know I don't think that would have been the name I'd choose for his sister LOL to each his own though... I never thought I'd be able to get another dog after rebel, but I feel positive about this and I know that he will be loved as much as any dog person can love their pet... I miss having a dog to wake up to in the morning.. and Since I'll be living with my aunt and uncle for the first little while the pup will have his brother to play with also. Which I know he will love :D
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 05:29 AM

That should help them both settle into their new homes better, just be careful they don't get too dependent on each other and make sure they do have plenty of time apart as well as together ;)
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 06:12 AM

Thank you shaz. Yea I've never had more than one dog in a home. So I don't know much about that. Can I ask your opinion on when you should start walking a puppy also.. since so far I've gotten a wonderful opinion from.. hmm lucky I believe it was.. *i just woke up lol*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search