Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janetw30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2011, 07:14 AM
    Can money be taken out of 401k after591/2 without taking out all of it
    Can you take money out of 401k after 591/2 without taking all of the money out of 401k
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2011, 08:21 AM
    Yes of course, that's what you should do, but space it out over the years if you can.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jul 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
    If your 401k is with your employer check with their administrator on what the company rules are, but yes, after 59 1/2 you can withdraw some of the funds without incurring a penalty.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 08:29 AM

Depends whether you are still employed by the company where the 401(k) plan is located. If you have left the company where the 401(k) is located, then yes - you can take as much (or as little) as you'd like at any time. But if you are still working at the company where your 401(k) is invested then they may restrict you from taking a distribution even if you are 59-1/2. You would have to ask the plan administrator what the rules are for active employes taking distributions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking out 401K [ 1 Answers ]

How does it work out if I want withdraw my 401K balance of $5k? What are the penalties and how does the taxing on that work out?

Taking money from 401k to buy realestate [ 1 Answers ]

I have an option to purchase a small commercial building at a price below appraisal. This property will require 100 K to rehab and make like new... I can rent it at 14 per square foot at triple net... This will create a cash flow of about 1600 per month. I would need to take the money out of the...

401K taking it some out early [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the penalties would be to take out 2k early from my 401K. I don't have a lot in it at this time but actually needed 1400 and figured 2k would cover the taxes and penalties.

Taking money out of my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question hopefully you can help. I worked for United Parcel Service for about 4 years. I no longer work for them anymore. How do you think I can go about getting my money out of there 401k. I know about penalties and risks. But do you think I can be intitled to getting that money that I've...

View more questions Search