Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    senud Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2010, 11:31 PM
    Should I leave my husband?
    I have been married for 20 years. I am really confused right now. My husband has been talking to a woman at work for a couple of weeks on the phone. He talks to her while he is at work. She doesn't call or text him when he is with me. I called the number and a femaled answered. I don't know what to do. I don't know how far the relatioinship has gone. He says that if I screen his calls or spy on him he will leave me, because that means I don't trust him. I am really confused and love him very much. We have two wonderful children and I thought I had a great marriage. Obviously I don't. Any advice?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 22, 2010, 04:54 AM

Dear Abby had an answer to this question. You need to ask yourself if you are better off with him or without him. That should help you make your decision.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 22, 2010, 07:07 AM
    Ever see one of those cop shows where one spouse murders the other for this very reason, and it turns out the other woman or other man was helping plan a surprise 20th wedding anniversary?
    You give no clue what kind of work they do either alone or together, or anything else that might cast light on the situation, so it's impossible to give advice.
    In general, I'd say ask - without being confrontational. Not easy to get a kind response if you already have been. If you are told to mind your own business and stop being suspicious, then decide what step you want to take next.
    - Divorce
    -Separation
    - Private I
    - Take the kids on a trip
    ETC
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Nov 23, 2010, 06:13 AM
    It is much like seeing your husband stumble in the doorway, slurring his words, tripping over his own feet, unable to walk or talk. He stinks of wine, and decides to lift the seat cusion on the couch to have a pee, thinking it is the toilet. You are quite mortified with what you see right in front of you, and ask the question, "Have you been drinking" and he eventually replies that no, he has not been drinking. And if you don't trust him and believe him when he says he's not been drinking, then he will divorce you. He also says that if you talk to his friends, or follow him to the place where he doesn't drink, that will be proof, and enough proof for him to leave you.

I suppose some women would fall for that. Well, he looks drunk, he smells drunk, he can't walk upright and his knuckles are dragging on the floor, and he just used the couch for a toilet, and I can see out the window that the car is upside down in the ditch across the street... but, maybe it's me, and I'm just reading too much into the situation, and he's not done anything wrong.

And so, each time you clean the couch, and call his boss to say he's sick and won't be in, it was all in your mind, and your imagination just keeps runnng away on you, time and time and time again.

You know that he is communicating with another woman, by text, and by phone, and has for at least a couple of weeks. You are suspect, as anybody would be, as to why he would be so extremely protective of his relationship, whatever that may be, with this other woman, to the point of telling you that if you cross 'that line', and interfere with what he's got going on, he will leave.

He doth protest too much! It does not sound harmless in any way, to me.

I would not allow threats to stop me from asking questions, and demanding answers, but that's just me. I couldn't turn by back on a situation where my husband is putting his needs, and his 'friends' needs, before mine, and I would not play second fiddle to anyone. If he cannot give you the respect and consideration of at least honesty, then what are you left with. Remain silent and keep him and allow him his new friend, or insist on the truth, and finding a way to resolve this 'friend' issue once and for all.

20 years is a long investment in a marriage. If he is unwilling to maintain the level of honesty necessary for the marriage to work through this problem, then you have some decisions to make. You can accept what he says, remain silent, and hope that 'the other woman' situation just goes away, or you can deal with it. I don't see a third option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to leave your husband [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were married in Feb. We've been together for 3 1/2 years, have a child each of our own, and one together. When our daughter was born, we opted for me to stay home with the children. After a few months, though, I had to go back to work (part time) to help with the bills. He was...

Should I leave my husband? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I have been really confused recently and was hoping that somebody would be able to give me some advice. I've been married for 2 years but have been with my husband for 10 years. He was my first serious boyfriend and first person that I slept with. My husband is a good man and he is very much...

Is my husband going to leave me? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 16 years. I am a jealeous, and insecure person. I have issues with my husbands chosen friendship with another couple. At first I thought the wife would be my friend. But it turns out she is mainly my husbands friend. They both have lots incommon, or at...

Should I leave my husband [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married for almost five years and we are both under 35 we keep on arguing and just being so irritated by each other lately all we do is blame each other and we keep contemplating divorce I think we are both scared of being alone as for me I would like to break up and...

Should I leave My Husband [ 10 Answers ]

I'm 28 and my Husband is 38 we have been married for 7 years. We've been trying for a family for 6 ½ .2 years ago we found out that we will not be able to have children without help. My husband worked a very high stress job that would follow him home. 9 months ago he started a new job with less...

View more questions Search