Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Muster_M Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Do androids dream of electric sheep - Philip.K. Di(k - Chapter Five - Logic Question?
    While reading chapter 5, I stumbled across a question regarding the logic of the content. I'm still in the process of reading the book, so it might clear up itself - but I'm not sure it will.

I wonder: The corporation that produces the Nexus - 6 androids tries to trick Rick Deckard into thinking that his Voigt-Kampff scale, by which he can distinguish between androids and humans, doesn't work. They then want to bribe him into keeping quiet about this alleged discovery.

But why should they undergo the trouble to do this? As far as my understanding goes, they should want him to think that the scale works fine, because so long as this is the case, there would be no reason to stop production of the new Android models. Only if the exact thing that they are trying to make Deckard believe occurred - namely that androids and humans would be indistinguishable - only then, they would be forced to seize production.

So what was the point of their maneuver? The only thing that I can imagine is that they would want to film him take a bribe to keep quiet, just in case they would ever require anything from him. But that's not the notion that seems to be hinted at in this chapter and in any case, what could they ever require from him?

Hope someone can help and clear this up. Maybe I just understood something wrong...

Check out some similar questions!

Finanical and managerial accounting chapter 10 comprehensive question 3 [ 1 Answers ]

211 financial and managerial accounting chapter 10 Comprehensive question number 3

Never sleep late to dream, the dream. Always wake up early to live the dream. [ 0 Answers ]

I wanted to know who said or wrote the saying? Never sleep later to dream, the dream. Always wake up early to live the dream. Or, Idon't sleep late to dream, the dream. I wake up live the dream.

Ask a question about my dream in islam [ 1 Answers ]

Asslamualaykum. My younger brother aged 18 died in tragic accident in train few months ago.(allah bless his soul), naturally we are all very upset. Now I had a dream, my brother (that passed away) is about 8 9 yrs old and I take himinto a room and sit him down then I say to him, listen baby you...

Question from a christian friend and I want a logic answer for him [ 0 Answers ]

Surah 2:106 - "Whatever communications We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things?" Surah 6:115 - "And the word of your Lord has been accomplished truly and justly; there is none who can change His words, and...

Accepting Androids [ 11 Answers ]

How would you feel associating with an Android who was virtually indistinguishable from human? I recently read in Scientific American Magazine concerning the psychological reaction people have when in the presence of a machine which is striving to mimic not only human thought processes but also...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.