Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diychuck Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Cutting metal roofing.
    I have some old metal roofing that I want to recycle, however I need to cut it to fit my project. What is the best and easiest way to cut this ? Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 06:33 PM

Some people would use an air saw with an air tank. Another way would be to do the old fashioned way by using some very large heavy duty metal snips. And the last way would be to use a hacksaw. Or you can use an electric tool made by DeWalt that you plug into the wall and use a blade to cut with. Can't remember the name of this tool to save my life though! But it does exist. It's like a grinder saw.

I had a metal awning that my son used a set of very large steel snips (14") by Diamalloy-Duluth made in USA. Company went out of business but we found them on Ebay for around $25. He sharpened them up and they worked just fine. The snips were probably at least from the 1950's that were used in an old locomotive round house. Worked just fine for the awning and other projects I dreamed up for him.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2009, 06:56 PM

Metal cutting blade on a circular saw.
    freedhardwoods Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Oct 11, 2009, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    metal cutting blade on a circular saw.
    I agree also. Keep in mind though, LOTS of sparks when cutting.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 08:45 AM

A small grinder with a metal cut off wheel,you can rent one if you don't want to buy one and the wheels are inexpensive.

When cutting wear safety goggles and watch the blade,it cuts smoothly and cleanly.

The thinner the blade is,the easier the cutting is.
    DIY2008 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Pneumatic tin snips are the greatest, if you have a compressor and hose long enough
    strongstg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 08:09 PM

You can rent a sheet metal shear cutter for $50 cuts like a paper cutter and has the indents for the ribs in it. If you want angle cuts you will have to rent that also.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What color metal roofing would be best when your house is painted hunter green trimme [ 7 Answers ]

What would be the best color for metal roofing since my house is painted Hunter Green and trimmed in tan. I would send a picture of this house but the picture has too many bytes.

Steps to put metal roofing over shingled roof [ 1 Answers ]

Please someone help this beginner. I have a house with one layer os asphalt shingles, I want to know the exact steps to putting a metal panel roof over existing roof. Thanks you so much.

Sparks from cutting metal dangerous? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a metal bar that is used with a key as a shut-off for a gas line that goes into my fireplace. The bar sticks up from the floor about an inch. It is a tripping hazard for my daughter who walks near that area often. If I cut it off to the floor level, will the sparks created be any hazard...

Metal roofing [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install the valleys

Can you roof over metal roofing in Ohio thanks [ 2 Answers ]

Can you roof over metal roofing

View more questions Search