Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Sparks from cutting metal dangerous?
    I have a metal bar that is used with a key as a shut-off for a gas line that goes into my fireplace. The bar sticks up from the floor about an inch. It is a tripping hazard for my daughter who walks near that area often.

If I cut it off to the floor level, will the sparks created be any hazard to my hardwood floors, area rug, etc. Can they start a fire in the room? I have a dremel tool that I was planning to use to cut the extended piece off.

Thank you.
    romano14 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 09:17 AM

No it isn't
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 09:55 AM

I take it this is an inlet to the shut-off?Not the actual gas line?

A picture would help.

If it isn't a part of the actual gas line,cutting it off will do what you want,but then it'll be a sliced foot for your girl.I suppose you could cover it with something to protect feet...

Write back.

KBC
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 10:15 AM

If this is a little 1/4 inch rod that turns the stem in your gas valve, then it would be OK for you to cut it off if you did some safety measures. First remove all things that might catch fire that are around where you will be working, such as rugs, curtains, papers, magazines or pets. Then you can spray the area within an inch of the rod with water from a spray bottle, then after you finish cutting spray again just to make sure you kill any embers.

Now one warning about the valve itself. The rod is connected to a valve, on the underside of the valve is a spring, this spring is to put pressure on the part of the valve that turns, that keeps the part seated in the valve so it will not leak, So DO NOT PULL UP ON THE ROD FOR ANY REASON.
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2008, 11:24 AM

I was thinking about the sliced foot issue also. I think I might cut at it from the basement so it's below the floor surface.

The rod is pinched around the valve handle, so there's no removing it any other way.

letmetellu, thanks for the warning about the valve spring. Will the same safety measures work if I'm cutting from the basement or would I be better off going at it from the living room where the rod comes out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman riding lawnmower cutting off in middle of cutting grass [ 1 Answers ]

Craftsman Riding lawnmower is cutting off in middle of cutting grass and then start it back it will cut for awhile then do again. Does sound like it isn't getting gas. Can some on help.

Cutting a metal sheet to install a humidifier [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing an Aprilaire 700 series humidifier on my heating system. I have the template for the size of the opening on the supply duct. How do I cut the opening on the plenum and what tools do I need?

Do sparks go out? [ 2 Answers ]

I've read the post 'what to expect when you get dumped' All about breakups It was great! But I still have something to ask... One of my boyfriends was.. lets say... my first love, awww I know, but after we broke up, the pain never left me, we stayed friends, friends with benefits and then...

How to fan the flames for at least a few sparks [ 3 Answers ]

Been in a relationship for, say, 3.5 years - cohabitation, marriage, baby, all on top of each other (but at least not at the same time). Plus several job/career changes for both. How do we keep it together? He's my best friend but he's drifting away. He spends his free time doing stuff,...

Sparks [ 1 Answers ]

Yeah I was just wondering if got a few sparks and a little bit of smoke came out of the jvc kd-lx100 is it completely ruined? :'(

View more questions Search