Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ks48 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2015, 03:19 PM
    4450-1 transaxle stuck
    I changed the disk brake in the axle, but all the gears slid to one side as I was putting it back together. Now the wheels move in opposite directions. How do I align the gears to work correctly?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2015, 02:45 PM
    If you are turning one side forward and the other wheel goes backward, that is correct with a standard differential.

Mar 20, 2015, 04:15 PM
    Yes this is the indication. The problem is it never unlocks. I can't even push the mower in nuetral. or without the belt installed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 05:25 PM
    Dana 4450-1 manual

I did not open and review this manual, but perhaps you can find it useful.

Is it possible your parking brake is not disengaging, when the engine is off? I am assuming when the engine is running you have NO problems, is this a correct assumption?

Can it be pushed in neutral with the engine on? If so check the clutch, and brake linkage, before you tear your trans apart.

Hopefully its an adjustment and not a teardown job. I think the gears are aligned correctly as ma0641 said.

Please let us know how you came out.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2015, 06:34 PM
    Sorry, I thought it was a car transaxle, not a mower.

Mar 22, 2015, 05:25 AM
    I understand why you didn't look at the manual. It's a website where you give info and commitment to do/buy certain things before you can download it. I'm out on that. This is a mower transaxle. And it won't go even with the belt removed. I can't push it or do anything. Everything else is very good. As I mentioned, I replaced the disk brake inside as the ears broke off and the was no stopping. I lifted one side and all the gears on the shaft with the disk slid to one side and now the gears aren't lining up as they should. I have a breakdown of the parts but it won't show the gear alignment.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 22, 2015, 06:39 AM
    Your linkage pins are inside the gearbox, so requires the whole transaxle assembly to be removed and inspected. It's a big complicated job. Got tools and a worktable? It will have to be removed to be serviced either by you, or the professional you take it to. Take it out, take a look. Go from there.

Maybe it's time to makes some phone calls for some hands on help, at least see what they say.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Mar 22, 2015, 02:25 PM
    Hi,
    Always instructive if you tell the mower brand, model transaxle brand and model. I can tell you where to find them, but I have to have some clue.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get the escutcheon nut off? It is STUCK STUCK STUCK! [ 4 Answers ]

After 20 years, I'm changing out the kitchen faucet. Everything is disconnected except one very very tight nut. It's about 2/3 off. The gripping edges are broken. I've tried and tried with the plumbers wrench, but it won't budge. Part of the problem is that everything else is disconnected so...

Can I purchase touchup paint for the frame on model #4450 [ 2 Answers ]

Touch-up paint - I have the Glacier Bay medicine cabinet model #4450 & the paint on the mirror frame needs to be touched-up especially at the corner where I open the door. If I can't purchase the paint, can you give me the color numbers that I can give to Home Depot to make for me?

John deere transaxle [ 4 Answers ]

I'm having problem with me L120 John Deere once it gets hot it won't climb hills I know for a fact its not the belt I replaced it and it is routed correctly I was told it was a valve problem and that the transaxle is sealed but this is not the case I was able to separate the transaxle by removing...

Transaxle lubricants [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ford yt16 Lawn tractor. I have repaired the transaxle but I'm not sure what to use as a lubricant. Some say grease and others say 120W gear oil. What should I use ? Thank you.:confused:

Trouble shoot transaxle [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, dave from Wisconsin, I have , I believe to be a 1993 sears lawn mower with a spicer transmission in it. The model for the lawn mower is-- 502.255090 serial no. 28403837. When I tied putting the lawn mower into any gear the mower would not move, I checked the belts and they're fine , I...

View more questions Search