Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mookie 1234 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Murray Riding Mower runs but will not move in any gear
    The other day I was cutting my lawn and I hit a bump and the mower stopped moving even though it was still running. I checked the belts underneath and found that the main drive belt that goes to the drive pulley was off the pulley, I put it back on and it was still loose. I started th machine and nothing still. What am I missing, it would be hard to believe that the trans could bad that fast without any indication, HELP I NEED TO MOW MY LAWN!:eek:
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 11:55 AM

Hi,
    No, something is still not right. Model number?
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Not sure, I don't have it in front of me. It is a 17HP Murray bought new in 2004
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 01:17 PM

Did you put the belt around the tensioner pulley too or just the ones on the engine and trans? The tensioner pulley is part of the cltch brake assembly. Have someone operate the clutch while you look at it from under the tractor. You should be able to see the "extra" pulley.

Jul 10, 2009, 01:19 PM

Hi,
    Great you have the year and horsepower, but deck and Shift-on-the-Go are also important
    This link will allow you access to Arinet's Empart site. It will start at Briggs, but use the drop-down box and scroll down to Murray and it will break it down into years, then Lawn & Garden, then Riders and then to Lawn Tractors. There you can choose deck size and guess at a model. Or post back.
    http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 10, 2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks crigby, I will look it up and post back

Jul 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
    looks like a 425000x8b Lawn tractor

Jul 10, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Looks like it could be a sheered key on the drive shaft, I was mowing in a pretty rough area where the blades might have hit roots or maybe rocks. But I would think that rather than the key breaking the belt would have slipped first and the key would not break. Thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 02:45 PM

So do you see that the pulley remains at rest when the engine is running?

Jul 10, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Hi,
    Well, that was a correct question; the key is built into the double-stack (part# 690439MA) and the pulley would remain stationary with clutch released. Two person job as someone must be on the seat to release the clutch or the engine dies.
    For my part I attach a picture of the drive system of this Home Depot mower.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Huskee riding mower won't go into gear [ 3 Answers ]

I've had a Huskee LT4200 riding mower for several years with no problems; runs like a top until... Yesterday I idled the mower to empty the grass catcher but then couldn't get the mower to move. When I engage the transmission catch (in lower back) in order to push it to the garage to look at it,...

Murray Riding Mower won't move [ 10 Answers ]

My Murray Riding Mower is 7 yrs old. When I last started the mower it started but does not move forward or backward. Can anyone asvise what could be wrong, e.g. transmission and is it worth repairing, or could it be repaired.

Murray Mower Cuts Out When Put In Gear or Blade Engaged [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a 2000 Murray 42" rider (model 42514x8A) that I bought used from a guy who claimed it worked fine. It starts up every time, and runs like a top in nuetral, but the ignition cuts out as soon as I release the clutch with it in gear or try and engage the blade. I immediately suspected the...

View more questions Search