Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Markash Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2008, 09:35 AM
    MTD Rider mower-Nothing on key turn
    Hi All,

First question on this forum, thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Yard Machines by MTD rider with (I believe) a 14.5 horse B&S engine. Used over the winter with the snow plow attachment and worked fine until one time when I went to use it and turned the key but sounded like the batter was dying as it cranked and wore down to nothing. Then, the first time I went to use in the Spring for grass, when I turned the key, I got nothing, no clicks, just dead air. Battery and solenoid have been replaced, still no luck. I took the cable leading from the battery to the solenoid and placed it on top of the cable leading from the solenoid to (I think it's) the starter and got a spark and clicking but still nothing when I turn the key. The kill switch looks OK as well. Where can I go from here? I have limited experience with engine repair. Is this possibly a bad starter? Any response and help is appreciated.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2008, 05:51 PM
    You state you got spark and clicking. Was the spark you are referring to at the point where you touched the wires?

Jun 25, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Correct, where the wires touched. Basically, I took the incoming cable from the battery to the solenoid, removed it and touched it to the other side of the solenoid where the cable is attached that runs to the starter I assume. Since the engine will not turn over at all, no sounds or anything when the key is turned, I can't check to see if the plug is sparking.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Check your fuse.

Jun 30, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Fuse already checked, but it's good. Not sure what to check next... :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD rider won't turn over [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old MTD rider 17.5 HP 7 speed. I replaced the battery about a month ago and it started right up. I went to use it again and nothing. Turn the key and it doesn't make a sound. I tried turning the lights on and nothing. I think the battery is fine as I hooked up an inverter and...

Replaced gas line now 2002 huskee rider will not turn over [ 5 Answers ]

Had mower running, but noticed gas line was corroded and has broken as gas was pouring out of line. Shut the mower off, replaced the gas line, then could not get it to start again. Thought it was battery, replaced battery, not even a click when you have a dead battery. Gas gets to the carb, the...

Ariens rider mower YT1138 Mower Belt Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm looking for info on replacing the mower belt on this unit. I have the belt, but need to know, maybe a diagram, on how to install it on the pullys. Any help greatly appreciated. How to find a manual would be great to. Thx

Craftsman rider mower [ 3 Answers ]

New wiring diagram for wireing a lawn tractor with solinoid used and all messen up has a starter

Sears rider blades won't turn [ 1 Answers ]

I replace the engine on a used Sears 42", 6 speed riding mower. My problem is that when I engage the blades the engine stalls. The belt, 1/2" wide seems to be in a bind in the engine pulley groove. It will turn the blades if I manually turn the engine in the reverse direction, but not going in...

View more questions Search