Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbryans58 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2013, 08:48 PM
    16hp briggs vanguard seems like it's not getting fuel
    I have just installed a 16hp briggs vanguard in a Terra Jet,, at first while adjusting things and getting it operational, we were gravity feeding fuel from a jug,, ran fine, then hooked it up to the Terra Jet fuel pump and it ran awful found out the pump was 3lbs psi, figured it was too much so then tried the briggs fuel pump but it doesn't seem to be able to draw the fuel from the tank the tank is located in the front of the Terra Jet,, roughly six feet from the engine, is the pump just weak or will they not draw fuel from that distance? As you turn the engine over the fuel seems to be an inch or two from reaching the briggs fuel pump.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 5, 2013, 09:16 PM
    Hi,
    How are you feeding engine vacuum to the pump to make it work? It usually attaches to a valve cover. It could also be that the inlet seat/needle combo in the carb is for a gravity-fed engine. The seat is the critical part since the hole that the needle seals against is smaller in diameter.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

pbryans58 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2013, 01:50 PM
    Hi: First thanks for the quick response,, The fuel pump is hooked up properly,, but doesn't seem to want to pull fuel into the pump,, fuel sits about an inch or two from actually going into pump. How do you tell the difference between gravity feed and fuel pump fed carb? This might seem like a dumb question but I really have no experience with these engines,, and I'm certainly not a mechanic LOL
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 8, 2013, 08:44 AM
    Hi,
    The pump should be able to draw from a number of feet(Deere L-series with V-twins have 9 - 10 ft. of fuel line) and lift for a few feet as well. Possible other things are fuel shutoff solenoid not connected/opening, pinched fuel line, fuel pickup in tank disconnected or floating. Many machines have remote tanks that are on opposite ends of the machines from the engines and these pumps work fine.
    About the only way to tell the inlet seat/needle combe in a carb is through the parts breakdown or a check of the model and type of the engine to see haw the carb is equipped. A gravity-fed system will suffer fuel starvation and run lean and hot with a fuel pump carb. A fuel pump system will run rich with a gravity-fed carb.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16hp vanguard [ 11 Answers ]

I have a simplicity mower (1998) with a 16hp vertical shaft vanguard v-twin engine (303777 1111-51). Yesterday, after running the mower with turbo bagger attachment (a little extra load on the engine), for about 20 minutes, I idled back the engine and it began belching large clouds of blue/white...

Briggs & Stratton 16HP Vanguard Motor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a B & S 16Hp Vanguard motor that runs hydraulic tools. The motor was smoking and running rough so I replaced the oil, gas, and air filter. I started it up with out the oil filter on and the motor runs perfect. I reinstall the air filter and the motor begins to choke out and run...

Briggs Vanguard 16hp Model 303777 Carburetor [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I need help to answer a puzzling question. I was rebuilding an old snapper 4216 with a 16hp vanguard engine. I was able to get the carbs clean out and engine started. The puzzling question is: On the Vanguard 16hp caburetor, there are two connections for fuel. One is the 1/4" regular fuel...

Vanguard 16hp fuel starvation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've got a problem with fuel starvation with my ride on mower only owned this machine 2 days collected it from last owner seen it running on day of purchase driving it into back of vehicle up some ramps mower cuts out will not start lift bonnet fuel level very low reach conclusion run out of...

View more questions Search