Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2024, 05:36 AM
    National Popular Vote Compact
    I mentioned this idea briefly in a previous discussion. States in the compact mandate that the electors of their state be assigned to the winner of the national popular vote .

Maine is the latest state to sign on. There are now 17 states in the compact.

Maine joins compact to elect the president by popular vote but it won't come into play this November | AP News

The ultimate goal of the compact is to get enough states to commit to surpass the 270 elector threshold thus for all practical purposes killing the Electoral College system.

Basically there would be a couple of megalopolis areas that would determine who is President.

Powerline blog details the threat
    First, presidential candidates would no longer pretend to care about smaller states. The Electoral College was intended in part to make sure that all states, not just the most populous ones, would impact national elections. Under the compact, campaigns will be devoted to driving maximum partisan turnout in the states where each party dominates–California, Texas, and so on. Who cares about South Dakota when there are millions of votes to be had in Florida? The interstate compact would turn our republic into a country that essentially is governed by plebiscite.
    Second, the compact would put a premium on voter fraud. Already, there is no shortage of cheating, but each state’s boundary is a firewall. Philadelphia has been notorious for voter fraud for a century or more, and it may be able to elect a statewide candidate like John Fetterman. But the worst that fraud can do is swing a single state, so its impact is limited.
    Under a popular vote regime, there is no limit to the impact that voter fraud can have. The premium will be on ballot harvesting, both legal and illegal. If you can come up with millions of illegal votes by stuffing ballot boxes in California, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, and so on, they all will count. Presidential elections will become a race to the bottom
    A Looming Threat to Our Democracy | Power Line (powerlineblog.com)

Norman Williams at 'Harvard Law Review' (hardly a right wing publication) says that the compact is unconstitutional

He makes a compelling point .

In my view, it is unconstitutional for states to appoint electors against the wishes of their own state electorate but in accordance with the will of voters outside the state.
    The Danger of the National Popular Vote Compact - Harvard Law Review

Not that constitutionality ever prevented the left from seizing power .

Check out some similar questions!

A vote for Biden is a vote for Hamas terrorists [ 3 Answers ]

After the UN Security Council vote yesterday there can be no doubt about it . There are US hostages being held by Hamas in Gaza . There was a vote that called for a ceasefire demand of Israel that the US was holding a veto on due to the fact that there was no parallel demand for the release of...

NH primary /why not select candidates by popular vote ? [ 12 Answers ]

Quid Joe can thank his 5th place not only to his incompetence ,but also to Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi. Schiff and Pelosi were probably trying to prop up the blond hair blue eyed native American ,and she is tanking on her own. The irony of Biden is that the Dems went after Trump for allegedly...

How can I tell if a popular guy likes me if I'm not all that popular? [ 13 Answers ]

So I'm in 8th grade, and I want to know if this popular guy likes me when I'm not popular. He's the cutest guy in the grade and somehow I feel like he likes me.sometimes I catch him glancing at me. And when I catch him then he looks away. One time when my friend got hurt we where talking to...

I am a British National and I married a Moroccan national 3 months ago, she is curren [ 0 Answers ]

I am a British National and I married a Moroccan national 3 months ago, she is currently residing with me in the UK and gained entry on a spouse visa, however I would like to divorce and require advice

A Vote for McBush is a Vote for Iran War [ 35 Answers ]

A vote for McBush is a vote for a War on Iran. How do you like the War of Adventurism against Iraq which will last 100 years or until America destroys itself economically? Do you think that our colony Iraq, a future colony of Iran, and add another colony perhaps in Afghanistan will ever be in...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.