Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michelle12mw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2013, 09:53 AM
    Epidural injection of the c-spine
    I recently had a cortisone epidural injection. Levels c3, c4, c5, c6 and c7 are bulging , have bone spurs and of course narrowing of the nerve openings due to the bulging. I also have degenerative disc disease. I have had several surgeries in the lower back.. rods, screws, basket.. several levels of fusion. So I was attempting to do anything to avoid surgery which would be another fusion, most likely 3 of the levels or more. During the injection, my left leg jerked and it felt like a lightning bolt shot down my leg. The Dr. performing the procedure said he didn't understand what happened because he felt my leg jerk. When I was ready he proceeded with the injections and a few seconds later the same thing happened with the same leg. The pain was excruciating. He said there was no reason why that happened because he was not in the spinal cord. He told me because of the reaction he would never perform the procedure again. I just want answers as to why it happened. My pain isn't any better and I am basically miserable. The chronic back pain and s1 radiculopathy (sp) in my right leg are a lot to deal with on a daily basis. I was told surgery was my option, but I am unsure what to do.. thanks for any input anyone can give
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 07:23 AM
    He might not have been in the spine yet, but he's around the nerves branching from the spine. Everyone is built a little bit differently. A Doctor can name all the nerves in the human body, but their exact location is always a little different in everyone. With that being said, he could have nicked the nerve running down the leg, or caused a cascading effect. It is REALLY hard to say.

Where does that leave you. Surgery. If that isn't what you want, you might want to talk to him about that or get another opinion. You could find a doctor who has another idea, or knows a innovative technique that could help.

Sep 12, 2013, 09:16 AM
    I guess what concerned me was the fact that he said that had never happened before, and when it occurred twice, it obviously gave me reason for concern. I am not doubting his abilities because he does hundreds of these on a weekly basis. But when he couldn't explain anything as to why I reacted the way I did, I was slightly worried to say the least. A few days after the procedure, I was getting up to go to the restroom and my left leg totally collapsed.. like I didn't have control over my muscles. I caught myself on the door facing
    And the weakness went away. I didn't experience the numb, pins and needles sensation that I always feel in my right leg. I have learned to adapt to that problem. You said the Dr. could have nicked a nerve going down to the leg.. is it possible to nick the same nerve twice within only a few seconds? I have the utmost confidence in my doctors.. I just want answers... thank younforbtaking the time to respond.. very thoughtful of you.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Sep 12, 2013, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle12mw View Post
    I guess what concerned me was the fact that he said that had never happened before, and when it occurred twice, it obviously gave me reason for concern. I am not doubting his abilities because he does hundreds of these on a weekly basis. But when he couldn't explain anything as to why I reacted the way I did, I was slightly worried to say the least. A few days after the procedure, I was getting up to go to the restroom and my left leg totally collapsed..like I didn't have control over my muscles. I caught myself on the door facing
    and the weakness went away. I didn't experience the numb, pins and needles sensation that I always feel in my right leg. I have learned to adapt to that problem. You said the Dr. could have nicked a nerve going down to the leg..is it possible to nick the same nerve twice within only a few seconds? I have the utmost confidence in my doctors..I just want answers...thank younforbtaking the time to respond..very thoughtful of you.
    Anything is possible. Please note that I am a programmer by trade and only have a minor in biology. I am not the best source. I would go for a second opinion. Honestly.

Sep 13, 2013, 08:41 AM
    Thank u for taking the time to respond when no one else has given me any suggestions. I think I will contact my neurosurgeon for answers. I just don't want to seem spastic or overreacting.. however, it did scare me.. I was just hoping someone had answers or had experienced the same problem. Thank u again.. u r a good person for trying to help me and I appreciate u so much.. thanks Craven... by the way... cool name...
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Sep 13, 2013, 08:23 PM
    I'd get a second opinion. My husband gets these injections. At first, the doctor did not find the correct injection site for long term relief. On the second injection, he did. I remember the doctor saying he'd try four separate procedures. If those all failed to provide relief, then he'd have to go the surgical route.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Epidural question [ 0 Answers ]

Anyone else experiment back pain after receiving and epidural? First one only took to one side so I was given another one but now a month later I notice I have a sharp pain on the opposite side of my spine that the epidurals were placed.

Being sedated for an injection and swallowed gum injection at 3pm [ 0 Answers ]

I am having an epideral injection today at 3pm, I am being sedated I was told not to eat or drink anything after 8am - I was thirsty because of how warm it is and ate a piece of gum - but I accidentally swallowed my gum - will this hurt me?

Using an epidural [ 19 Answers ]

My mother is really stressing natural child birth. I do not think I want to go that route. However, I will if it is truly best for the baby. Has any one personally experienced (or known some one who has) a negative effect due to using an epidural?

What would cause an epidural to wear off? [ 2 Answers ]

I've had two vaginal deliveries and each time the epidural has worn off. My first delivery I could feel everything on one side and the epidural was reinserted. The second delivery an epidural was placed and it wore off maybe after an hour, then I was given two more through an IV with no relief. ...

Is an epidural really so bad? [ 12 Answers ]

I have been married for 6 months now and starting to think I want to start trying to get pregnant. I am bothered by the thought of how painful labour is because I have a very low tolerance to pain. So I would definitely be getting an epidural. However the thought of an epidural scares me much more...

View more questions Search