Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2013, 05:23 AM
    Queen Size Mattress
    I am a bit confused. When you buy a mattress, should you also buy a box spring, or something called a foundation. I see they do not come together. You have to buy them separate.

Or should you keep your old box spring?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 AM
    If the box spring or foundation is not sagged, warped, or bent, you can just buy a mattress. Lots of people today use a high rise platform and a mattress.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 AM
    Very Interesting
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 12, 2013, 07:22 AM
    5 years ago I bought a new mattress and put it on an old box spring (I'm guessing at least 50 years old, from my parents). The mattress slid off every time I got out of bed. I finally realized that the box spring was worn out, despite looking intact. Bedding sellers of course want us to replace everything every 10 years... most people don't! LOL
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
    We have a mattress on top of a wood frame, no box springs at all.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    We have a mattress on top of a wood frame, no box springs at all.
    Me too - as of just recently. With memory foam on top it's just right.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Very good
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Actually here a matress is really somewhat rare, at least like we think of one in the US.

The bed we had when we moved in, had a mattress that was about one inch thick and was more bamboo. If people have a matress they are about 3 or 4 inches thick.

You can get a memory foam topper but have to do it at IKEA or WALMART,

We were able to trade around a bit and come up with a regular mattress like we had in the US.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 AM
    Very good
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2014, 03:45 AM
    Thanks a million.. The mattress inspector is coming out again on Thursday. This is the second mattress that was replaced
    Due to sagging and depressions. Both mattresses were Pillow-Top. Less than a year old. Beauty-Rest Simmons.
    claireloe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2014, 11:16 PM
    Usually box spring and mattress should buy together, but if your box spring is in good condition, then you can just buy mattress.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Full size headboard and queen size bed [ 5 Answers ]

I have found a full size headboard that measures 60" at it's widest. My bed is queen size. The guy in the thrift store told me it wouldn't work, but it is exactly what I want. Can I make it work?

Queen size headboard/full size bed frame and matress [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to put a queen size headboard on a full size bed frame and matress. Will this work? I am trying to purchase the headboard off Craigslist and need to know ASAP! Thanks for any help

Antique full size head and footboard retrofitted/adapted to queen frame and mattress [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased an oak headboard and footboard that is turn of the century and for a full size bed. It came with siderails and slats for the box spring and mattress set. I would like the headboard and footboard, which are each tall and heavy to rest on the floor and be secured to my queen size...

Queen size frame-full size mattress [ 2 Answers ]

I have a full size mattress set and want to know if it can be used with a queen size bed frame? I heard there was a kit that can be used to make it fit.

Full size headboard, Queen size bed Frame [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy attachments that will allow me to fasten my full size headboard to my queen size bedframe? I am having a bit of trouble finding one.

View more questions Search