Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Loula25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 03:15 AM
    Flu or not flu?
    Every year, sometimes twice a year I get run down with what I can only describe as some type of virus, with symptoms always the same, feeling cold but hot to touch, clammy and a horrendous pain in my head when I stand. It's almost like my body just turns itself off and every part of me screams out, I become very weak and shaky and almost every time resort to crawling around the floor as walking becomes difficult as I feel like I'm going to fall. I know this all sounds very exaggerated but it really is horrendous and lasts anything from 2weeks up to 6weeks with ibuprofen and paracetomal. After a trip to the doctors last year his diagnosis from me telling him my symptoms was that it just seems to be the way my body copes with Flu, I would appreciate your opinion as experiencing this from a small child as early as 4 or 5, I am now 25 and still struggle to understand what it actually is

Thank you and kind regards
    Louise
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 03:17 AM
    It does sound like it could be a flu. Do you get a yearly flu shot?

Sep 30, 2012, 03:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It does sound like it could be a flu. Do you get a yearly flu shot?
    Hello, thanks for your reply, I know how hard different types of flu can be to diagnose,
    I did ask my doctor about a flu jab but apparently unless I fall under the high risk category being pregnant, elderly or have under lying health problems such as a disease that will weaken my immune system I don't qualify for the annual injection.
    So basically to me that translates as I just have to deal with it?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2012, 03:26 AM
    I'm not sure where you are, but here in the US, flu shots are available to anyone who wants it.

You could ask your doctor if a medication called Tamaflu is available for you to take as soon as you begin to experience symptoms.

Sep 30, 2012, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I'm not sure where you are, but here in the US, flu shots are available to anyone who wants it.

You could ask your doctor if a medication called Tamaflu is available for you to take as soon as you begin to experience symptoms.
    I am in the UK, it's on my records that I have had these symptoms since a small child, now with my own two children the doctors advice of bed rest is becoming increasingly impossible, I will arrange an appointment with a different doctor I think and ask again about the jab or the tablets you suggested.
    Thanks very much for your advice
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 30, 2012, 03:54 AM
    I'm not one to advocate antibiotics and avoid them as much as possible, but they helped me with a recurring severe cough (of 25+ years, usually twice a year for several weeks), and others with headaches associated with sinus congestion have been helped. A virus that lasts for a few weeks can turn bacterial, the theory goes. This is just ONE suggestion if it turns out to not be flu.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get over the Flu? [ 7 Answers ]

Unfortunately, in the midst of work/research/classes, I forgot to get my flu shot and on top of that, forgot to take care of myself. I caught the flu. I am now suffering from stuffiness, sore throat, head cold, body aches, chills, and just overall weakness... to the point I can't get out of...

Flu [ 4 Answers ]

Since Monday morning I have had a really bad flu. As gradually the days go by the symptoms increase. On Tuesday I had flu and my head felt heavy. This morning my ears hurt a little tiny bit, and my throat feels bit weird, and I don't feel like eating anything. And once in an hour I get a cough. Is...

Flu and BP [ 0 Answers ]

If you have high blood pressure, and just got over the flu can that make your blood pressure go up

Are you going to get either the seasonal flu shot or the swine flu shot? [ 63 Answers ]

Don't know how to do a "poll" so I'll just ask this Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the seasonal flu shot this year? Are you or anyone in your family planning on getting the series of swine flu shots this year? Have you or any of your family members ever had a flu shot...

View more questions Search