Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BreAnn30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
    Father owes lots of support money, wants to give up rights to cancel debt.
    If the father of my children gives up his rights, does he pay child support? He says in TX you don't have to. He owes ten thousand and says after he signs his rights away, he won't owe anymore. Is that true?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Oct 23, 2011, 11:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BreAnn30 View Post
    If the father of my children gives up his rights, does he pay child support? He says in TX you don't have to. He owes ten thousand and says after he signs his rights away, he won't owe anymore. Is that true?
    1. The debt will remain debt!
    2. I know no judge who will allow TPR because a parent wants to avoid paying child support.

CHAPTER 161. TERMINATION OF THE PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIPSUBCHAPTER A. GROUNDS
    Sec. 161.001. INVOLUNTARY TERMINATION OF PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIP. The court may order termination of the parent-child relationship if the court finds by clear and convincing evidence:...

There are no grounds for voluntary termination of parental rights in Texas!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2011, 04:04 AM
    Before posting on a site like this, it pays to spend a little bit of time browsing around for similar questions. Very often you can find your answer. Had you browsed around you might have found this sticky: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

There appears to be this myth that a parent can just decide to terminate their rights. But that's all it is, a myth.

I believe the states are fairly even split on wheter they terminate both rights and responsibilities. Some terminate only rights others terminate both. Texas, does terminate both. However, as GV said they are not going to terminate just to allow him out of his support obligation. So he's living a pipe dream if he thinks that. And even if he were to get the court to terminate his rights, that would not affect the arrears he owes.

So you can tell him, if he wants to waste his time trying to get a TPR feel free.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 10:20 AM
    First it does not matter where he lives, what matters is where you are at and where the child support order is from.
    Actual Texas is pretty good about putting non paying child support dads in jail.

Just laugh at him and say, you know he won't be paying support when he is in prison or something, don't let him scare or lie to you.

The sad part is, he obviously does not care for the kids nor plans on having a relationship, he is more concerned about money.

So you keep after child support enforcement, track him down and do everything possible to make him pay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father to give up rights to avoid child support [ 11 Answers ]

My ex-husband works overseas by choice. He has decided that because he doesn't have much interaction with our 14-year-old son, he will file papers citing alienation and wants to cut ties and not pay child support anymore. He makes no attempt to call our son and a mild attempt at email. We have...

If father wants to give his rights up does he still have to pay child support? [ 3 Answers ]

My children's father ask me if my husband wants to adopt our children if I say no can he still waive his rights and not pay child support?

If a friend owes you money, how do you make sure she doesn't forget a debt? [ 1 Answers ]

I am afraid a friend will forget to pay a debt she owes me. I want to make sure she doesn't forget a debt because it's several hundred dollars. What do you think?

Father wants to give up rights to avoid deliquent child support [ 2 Answers ]

My son's father wants to give up his parental rights in order to avoid paying child support both past and present. My son does not want my husaband (his stepfater) to adopt him. If he give up rights will he get out of his financial obligation and do I have any input in the matter? I live in South...

View more questions Search