Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kasdece Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2010, 11:42 PM
    How to access my daughters Facebook to see what is going on as a parent
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2010, 04:06 AM

Not without her password. However as a parent you can require that she provide that password or else forfeit unsupervised computer time.
    JulietHeart Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Nov 4, 2010, 05:14 AM
    I'm not sure if you want to see just the page or the inbox

If you wanted to see your daughter's page and not view her inbox... you can do three things...
    I don't know if you have a Facebook but if you don't, Get one.

If her page is public, you will be able to view her activity easily
    ... but If her page is private there are two things you might can do...
    1.) Add a friend of hers... If her page is private but viewable to friends of her friends... you can see activity...
    2.) Send her a friend request... depending on her friend request limitations, you might be able to see her page.

If you want to see the Inbox, Follow the advice of ScottGem. It gets straight to the point.!
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 08:15 AM

I agree with JulietHeart. If you're just looking to view her statuses and posts then simply create a Facebook for yourself. Again, depending on her preferences you may need to add her as a friend (which she might deny ;)) but if it is indeed public then there you go.

If you're interested in her Messages ie: Inbox, Sent etc... then you cannot unless you login as her, which we know you can't do unless you have the password.

I suggest asking if you feel it's important. She will ask you why you're being nosey, even if she has nothing to hide. Can I ask why you feel it necessary to view her Facebook info?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 08:40 AM

Do what I do... my daughter provides me with the username and password, or she doesn't have computer access. Be the parent, not the friend.
    Networking Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 09:11 AM

By getting access to the username and password you can be sure there will no longer be anything on there worth hiding. She'll know you have the credentials and will not expose herself to things she may need to hide knowing you'll check.

By doing this, you will only get to see her true form only once. The first time, granted you login before her and she doesn't erase everything. After that first time she will know you check and will conduct herself accordingly. You will also be; in her mind, a nosey parent.

I am not protecting her I am just curious as to what you think you will gain from this?

Be the parent not the friend? Really? You don't go poking in your kids personal info unless given a reason too, by doing it premature you lose respect and trust.

Has your daughter did something that makes you curious as to what is on her Facebook. If you are just curious then leave it alone. If she has then by all means do what you have to do to protect your children, but again doing this just because you're curious is not the right reason.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I am not protecting her I am just curious as to what you think you will gain from this?

Be the parent not the friend? Really? You don't go poking in your kids personal info unless given a reason too, by doing it premature you lose respect and trust.
    I beg to differ. As a parent, it is my right to know what is going on in my child's cyber life. Parents have the responsibility of making sure our children are acting responsibly in not only real life, but internet life as well.

I monitor my daughter's myspace and Facebook on a frequent basis and she knows that. I am being the parent by protecting my child from internet predators by monitoring these sites.

Children, especially hormonal teens, are too trusting to people on the internet. They are not internet savvy as are most adults. We monitor not only what our children are doing, but what is being sent to them and by whom as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 05:31 PM

Agree with J9, the minor child should not touch the computer if the parent does not have every password to every site used by the child. That is what a parent does, watch out for their child.

You are and stay the parent, you are not their friend, their buddy
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Do what I do...my daughter provides me with the username and password, or she doesn't have computer access. Be the parent, not the friend.
    Thank you!

I couldn't agree more here. My thought is, you are living in MY house, you will abide by MY rules. Period. End of story.

Nov 4, 2010, 06:33 PM

ITStudent has a valid point. If the child knows that they will be monitored, they are much less likely to do things that will get them in trouble. But isn't that part of the point?

If your child is going to be doing things you won't like or allow, its probably too late to rein them in anyway. But a parent has a responsibility to know what their children are doing at all times.
    Networking Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 08:21 PM

Listen I agree with all of you I just feel different because I'm a lot younger than a lot of you.

I am not a parent (will be in 9months, just found out today :))

Anyway, I am not a parent but when does the belief that its your right to know cross into personal space and trust? I feel as though it's demeaning to yourself as a parent to have to monitor your children so deeply (this is without reason to, if there's reason to then by all means)

You spend your life raising your children, teaching them right from wrong, what's acceptable and what's not. By monitoring them I see this as a form of doubt in ones mind that they don't believe they did a good enough job. That your daughter or son will not listen or you didn't do enough to teach them. Almost like you don't trust them.

I want you to know that this is my opinion on monitoring older children (high schoolers)
    ivanh Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2010, 01:03 AM
    The following is not ethical but has been done.

Establish an extra email and log on to Facebook as a phony person and become a friend of one of her friends. Get fake pictures from Google images. Then make sure the fake person is someone the same age and interest as your daughter. Finally request to become a friend so you may converse with her on Facebook. I've known people to uncover unfaithful boyfriends in this manner.

But remember. If you do this to her, it would lower you! And thus lowering yourself could perhaps be a more egregious situation than the daughter's questionable activities. And perhaps this is not the sort of guise you should be doing. Just a thought.

Final note: FaceBook is potentially dangerous as you can see. Anyone could and has done this before on a networking site.

Nov 5, 2010, 03:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ivanh View Post
    The following is not ethical but has been done.
    I almost decided to remove this, but I changed my mind. The method proposed is not illegal, but, if found out, could destroy the trust between parent and child.

As parents we often have to walk a fine line between protecting our children and interfering with them. It's a very hard call for parents to make. And its also an individual one since you have to know your child and decide how much trust to extend them.
    viks120 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2010, 07:28 AM
    There are many ways to get username and password, if your daughter is using home computer. There are some softwares and also logs tracking is available. I agree with most of the ansers, you are parent, but being a friend is not bad choice. Here is my honest suggestion for you. Instead of monitoring her computer or her account, talk to her. Try to make healthy relationship with her and good communication with her is good idea.

Everybody loves their privacy, so if she found you are trying to do such a thing, then it could be worst.Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parent dies intestate. Land. 2 daughters. 1 only can pay taxes. What then? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi ! If a parent dies intestate and leaves land... and maybe some small monies. And the 2 daughters have historical conflict for years, and do not speak. 1 daughter completely in poverty. Other daughter can pay taxes on land That is left. Does it go to probate?. in state land is in? Or into...

How do I access Facebook when scholl blocks me [ 1 Answers ]

How can I acees Facebook when they have blocked proxicate and bigdoctoring.

View more questions Search