Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ginda Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 01:42 AM
    Am I entitled to redundancy?
    After 10 years' of two-days-a-week employment on a permanent contract the company I was working for cut my working hours and salary by half. Unable to continue on half the salary, they found me another (full-time) job within the company. This job was a 9-month fixed maternity cover contract and I was led to believe when I was interviewed that it was almost certain to become permanent as the lady for whom I was covering was not expected to return. I have just been told (one month before the fixed-term contract was due to end) that although the lady is not coming back, my employment will cease at the end of the contract. Throughout my tenure in the job, I had been given absolutely no reason to believe that I would not be able to continue. There is another job being advertised in the company which I am being encouraged to apply for and for which they are happy to give me a very good reference. But this job has a smaller salary. I took a reduction in salary to show willing when I took the fixed-term job but I am not prepared to take another reduction. Have my employers fulfilled their obligation to me by giving me the fixed-term job after my ten years of permanent employment or would I be entitled to redundancy?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 01:57 AM
    Hi, Ginda!

I would presume that being redundant would be something that you don't want.

Would that be true, please?

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2010, 02:09 AM

Thank you for your reply. I am interested in redundancy now.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 02:13 AM
    Are you represented by a union of some kind, please?

Jun 12, 2010, 02:22 AM

Unfortunately not.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 02:33 AM
    Do you think that they released you against the terms of your original contract that you had for ten years?

Jun 12, 2010, 03:36 AM

I was released on the grounds that I do not have an assertive enough character and that the job would suit a younger person. This would surely have broken the terms of my original contract which did not state what sort of age or character I had to be. (I am 53.)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 05:30 AM

Hello Ginda:

I don't know what redundancy is, but if you had a contract that was arbitrarily changed, and it was, and you didn't do anything about it then, you may not have any rights to do it now...

Although, I really don't know. I think you should see a solicitor.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 12, 2010, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginda View Post
    I was released on the grounds that... the job would suit a younger person. This would surely have broken the terms of my original contract which did not state what sort of age or character I had to be. (I am 53.)
    Looks like age discrimination to me. Do they allow that wherever you are?

Jun 12, 2010, 07:29 AM

I live in London, England and my employers say on their website that they 'strive to ensure that all employees are able to contribute to their maximum potential, irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or age.'
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginda View Post
    I live in London,
    Hello again, G

Bummer for you. That stuff is a goal, it's not a law. I think you're out of gas.

excon
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 01:40 PM
    I would assume that you've accumulated benefits.

Have you?

Jun 13, 2010, 01:54 AM

What sort of benefits? I get a non-contributory pension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Configure firewall redundancy on cisco 6509 [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Good morning/evening, I have catalyst switch 6509, with two firewall service modules(FWSM) Do I need to configure any command on the switch to make the second Firewall module to work as failover for the first firewall module. Thanks for your kind responses.

Entitled to pension? [ 1 Answers ]

I got married 10/2/99 in NYC. I now live in Atlanta, my spouse still lives in NYC. This year will make 10 years. We have three minor children together. I filed for divorce in Atlanta but my spouse refused to sign. My spouse now filed in NYC and is sending the paperwork to me. Before I sign, I want...

Who is entitled to property [ 2 Answers ]

My mother in law passed away leaving no will, but several properties. The family is arguing about who is entitled to monies gained from the sale of the properties. She had six children, two of whom are deceased. Do the remaining 4 children split four ways or do the heirs of the two deceased...

What he is entitled to [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my mother inlaw has been divorced for about 23yrs... she has been with her new partner for about 20yrs... she recently passed away. Her will says that the house belongs entirely to her boys. My question, is her partner entitled to half the house although her will says no. Please note that we...

Copying mp3s to Sandisk - cyclic redundancy check error [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone Today I bought a 1gb Sandisk memory stick pro duo from Jessops to copy some music/ podcasts to for my phone. When I try to move the mp3s from my computer to the memory stick duo I get the error "cannot copy xxxxxx: data error (cyclic redundancy check)". There is nothing wrong...

View more questions Search