Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LindyPeach13 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Do females do well in car sales?
    Do females make good money selling cars.. especially considering most dealerships only have men on the sales floor. I'm up for competition but curious if I stand a chance. I am attractive, intelligent, have been successful in marketing & in retail and advertising sales. I've got the personality and quite knowledgeable about car sales after purchasing several over the years. Have bought & leased.. even purchased online & had it shipped across two states..

Do I stand a chance?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 08:31 AM

It takes more than knowledge about car sales from personal buying and selling, no matter how complicated the experience. I sold high end cars very briefly about 10 years ago (part time). I found that as a female I had the edge on the males, particularly men who brought wives/girlfriends along. It was my experience that males were thought to be somehow less than honest but females were thought to be more sincere and straight forward - again, just my experience.

Any dealership (again, in my area, from my experience) that hires any salesperson requires rather in-depth training. You can't sell what you don't know - and drive, for that matter.

There is no dealership in my area of which I am aware that has only men on the sales floor, particularly higher end vehicles. Used car lots, yes, mostly men.

My full time job is in a male-dominated profession and I find being one of the very few females is an advantage for me.

Apr 20, 2010, 09:29 AM

@JudyKay. Fully agree my buying history does not add up to knowledge for the sales end but I do think helps when relating to customers.

A certain wireless company I worked with trained me for weeks on the 'sales process' I believe they had 6 steps... honestly a tad much but my point : best foundation! I didn't stay long after seeing my commission.. they made a great investment n me selling my butt off and I made didly in comparison! Great thing about the sales process.. works no matter what you sale.

My thing is being able to stand behind what I'm selling... Nothing worse than another dept/employee screw up.. it reflects back & has screwed me out of return business & referrals.

In my area... have yet to met a female selling cars. Maybe they were off that day? Awesome to know in your case its been an advantage. Ty
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 10:16 AM

And it might depend on the make/model being sold.

I'd apply - I do think you have an advantage over the males.

Apr 20, 2010, 12:22 PM
    I'm going too apply.. I'm a single mom & soon to be happily divorced. I can't see working for less than I'm worth when I know I've got the gift to sell... and of course a strong desire to provide a nice Independent living!

This dealership is well established in my town + over 20 years with two locations... Dodge Jeep Chrysler. They are seeking 15 & are hiring for floor sales & internet sales. Paid training of course.. ramp up I'm guessing for I imagine a brief time.. also says salary + commission + bonus potential from incentives. Sound good? I'm n middle GA +300k population not far from Atlanta. What would you recommend I ask about? Flat fees & etc?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2010, 12:28 PM

I don't care if the Sales Person is a man, woman or horse. If they can answer all my questions and are honest with me I will buy a car from them. Good Luck!!
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 01:01 PM

In this economy I think I would make sure you have a clear understanding on how commissions work (against salary, a draw, split commissions) but I don't think there's much room to bargain - unfortunately.

Once you get established, then YOU get to set the rules.

Apr 20, 2010, 02:09 PM

@JudyKay.. you have been quite helpful. Just the person I was hoping to here from. TY
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2010, 02:14 PM

Just do me a favor and come back and let us know how it's going for you -
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 20, 2010, 05:16 PM

Most car sells don't really offer salary except for maybe a couple weeks. So get it in writing, what they do offer is draw, which means if you don't work out you could end up owing them money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Dealer sales [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is 88. She had a stroke and elderly. Went to car dealer and they sold her a 2009 used car. She doesn't have a Drivers License and they sold it to her anyway. She paid cash. When My husband saw the car one week later he notice the car had been in a accident before my mom bought it. They...

Refund of car sales deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Refund of car sales deposit

Used car sales / tires [ 1 Answers ]

Isn't there a California law that requires certain amount of tread on tires when you buy it from a used car dealership? Thanks! >Moved from Forum Help<

Private car sales default [ 2 Answers ]

My husband bought and sold a car to a friend. Right after the car was paid off, it broke down. Total price for the car: $600.00. We sold this person one of our cars that we weren't using. Again, pmts were to be made until car was paid off. ($2200.00)The military transferred my husband to another...

Car sales and draws - how does it work? [ 1 Answers ]

If a car dealership offers the sales person a montly salary or draw, how does this work? Does the money get paid back to the car dealership?:confused:

View more questions Search