Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Apr 23, 2008, 09:44 PM
    How to survive in a big corp.
    I am starting my career after college soon, how do I survive in a big corp.
    Any lessons shared will be greatly appreciated.
    Just about anything a newbie needs to know about the real world by working for a large corp.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2008, 12:29 AM
    It would be helpful if you would let us know what kind of big corporation you are talking about here. The advice may differ because of the type of corporation.

Thank you!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 12:51 AM
    I always felt like working in a big corp is like maintaining a relationship... you got to be assertive, but not overbearing... stand out, but don't stick out... can't be too quiet, but can't be too loud... etc
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 05:32 AM
    I will go with isneezefunny, don't stand too far out in the crowd, don't appear to be a threat to your boss, never disagree in public with management. And in the end don't fully trust any co-worker

Apr 24, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Great advice! ANd keep everything to myself right?

What if people ask me personal questions? How do I handle that?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:22 PM
    Depends on how personal it is.

If it's anything like "How's your girlfriend?" then keep it light, answer generic answers such as "she's doing well"... there's really no need for them to ask you personal questions unless they're just trying to get to know you... but it could also backfire. So try to be personable and friendly, but not too friendly to the point your co-worker's your best friend.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2008, 08:27 PM
    And in management co workers are co workers not best friends, not people you 'hang" with. And remember alot of advanceemnt comes from some one elses misery. And also that person who is under you today, may be your boss in 4 years, even in another company.

also often ( at least 15 years ago) there were "teams" if one exect was promoted to another company, he would latter recruit those under him for key positions. But then if he latter leaves ( for bad reasons at times) your future is also borderline.

And the dirt you do today will normally come back to bite you tomorrow

Apr 24, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Maybe the best way is not to talk, just say hi...

Would that work?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:38 PM
    You could... but then you'd be "that guy" in the office. No, be friendly, but be careful as to not to give up too much of yourself... just be on your toes and keep professional, while putting out a nice friendly attitude.

You ever have that guy in your class/school where he's very nice, everyone loves the guy, thinks very highly of him, but when it comes to his personal life, you know very little about him?

Apr 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
    I see thank you!

I have always been that one who makes everyone laugh. Would that be bad if I start my sense of humor?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:42 PM
    No, not at all... but keep it under control and don't stand out as that "goofball"... know when to keep quiet and know when to make small talk at the water cooler. You don't want everyone to think that you're that slacker that really doesn't belong there. Keep quiet for the first week or so... make small talk, and you'll slowly get to know who belongs where, how some people think/interact, etc.

Best wishes

Apr 24, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Thank you from the past 3 interviews and all the emails coming back and forth.

My boss mentioned me as an overachiever to the rest of the group... I am a little bit concerned... is that a good thing? It can be bad u know.
    If he means good then will the others get jealous of me?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Ah, it shouldn't be a bad thing... just don't try and come off as a suckup or as if you're better than everyone. Your boss mentioned you as an overachiever...

Imagine this. You're in class.. and your professor just said that you guys have a new student that'll be working in your group, and he/she's an overachiever. What would your expectations be of that new student? How would you want him/her to act?

Apr 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Oh I won't... I wish I could be more confident in real life.

I know I will be the youngest in this office, I have A LOT to learn. I am innocent but I don't want to make any mistakes on my way climbing up the corp. ladder. Will corp. culture turn an innocent individual into another person?
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Possibly... sadly most likely. It sounds absurdly cliché, but if you're "true to yourself"... meaning you don't sell yourself out to be someone else you're not, there's a good chance you'll be fine.

Apr 24, 2008, 09:10 PM
    I hope so too. I want to be myself and true to myself! That's very important to me.

Oh by the way, I have been invited to my boss' party at his house next month which will be a few days after I start working there officially. He stated that we can bring as many guests as we want including pets.

Should I go to his party? Is that okay to bring my parents? ( They are my best friends and I want them to see my coworkers).
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 09:24 PM
    Hmm... it depends on how big this "party" is... who's going to be there... and what sort of function this is. Is it formal/casual... (the idea of bringing pets... sorta throws me off), is it everyone from work or just a select few... etc.

I'm going to go against the idea of bringing your parents... I understand that they're your best friends, but in the workplace, that may put a damper on people's perspective of you, seeing as you are the youngest person in the office.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between W2 and Corp-to-Corp [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know the difference between compesation in W2 and Corp-to-corp when working as a consultant for a company. For eg: if my comp rate is 40$/hr W2 for 1st case and 40$/hr corp to corp for second, in which case am I supposed to take care Of my taxes? :confused:

How do I survive heartbreak? [ 6 Answers ]

11 months ago I ran into a childhood friend of mine and we started dating shortly after. The summer went by and I left to go back to school in the midwest. I lived on the west coast at the time, but we decided to stay together. When he came to visit me I found out he had previously cheated on me...

Detailed description of 1099,W2 and corp to corp [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the detailed description of 1099,W2 and corp to corp in staffing and consulting firms.

View more questions Search