Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverpetals Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Does every insurance cover birth control?
    I need to purchase birth control. I have hmo insurance, and I'm 19 so I'm signed with my mom for insurance. Will birth control be provided, or do I have to pay?
    Also, I remember my doctor saying that even if it is provided, something may come up later in terms of paying so I need to check with that, but I'm not sure what she meant when she said that.

Can anyone provide me with more information about this?

Thank you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Unfortunately not all insurances provide birth control. Most do, but not all. Some require a co-pay, which means you have to pay for a portion of the cost of the prescription.

Since we don't know your mother's particular policy, it is impossible to tell you for sure.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 07:24 PM
    First no, if you are a part of a parents policy it may not, and even if they offer it, many times it is a option you have to pay extra for.

I sell health insurance for 5 of the major companies ( part time) and only 1 of them provide it on all policies the others either only provide it on some and others it has to be added as a option.

This also can vary by state, some states require more items to be covered always than other states. You will need to actually read the policy and/or talk and ask the agent.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 07:12 PM
    You can always go to planned parenthood and get the contraceptive for a lesser cost, if you are low income they can get you signed up for a plan that will pay for it for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Also if you are getting it, there will be bills sent from the doctors office and of course with a HMO there will be a co pay at the doctors office, depending on your plan. ** avge 20 to 30 dollars.
    Also on drugs, each plan has its yearly deductable that has to be paid, and then there will be a copay, depending on type of drug.
    tootired75 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 20, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First no, if you are a part of a parents policy it may not, and even if they offer it, many times it is a option you have to pay extra for.

I sell health insurance for 5 of the major companies ( part time) and only 1 of them provide it on all policies the others either only provide it on some and others it has to be added as a option.

This also can vary by state, some states require more items to be covered always than other states. You will need to actually read the policy and/or talk and ask the agent.
    This is correct. Fr Chuck you are apparently a licensed insurance agent selling the insurance and I have 10+ years working for the insurance companies themselves.

Companies have the option of purchasing riders that cover specific conditions that are otherwise excluded from coverage. Birthcontrol is something that you see as an add on frequently. So you would defintely need to go over the plan coverage information. Also the benefits can be affected greatly depending on if it is a self funded plan or if it is a fully insured. Self funded policies can have all kinds of wacky terms and limitations. The company makes the rules and decides what is and is not covered.

Also as Fr Chuck stated each state has their own list of rules that need to be followed.
    If you don't feel comfortable discussing this with your mother (meaning checking benefits etc) I would agree that you should look into planned parenthood.

And not to step on toes here, please don't take offense. I would recommend contacting the insurance company directly not the agent. Agents typically sell policies for numerous companies and are infamous for giving out incorrect information. (Sorry not trying to offend, I used to hold my insurance agents license as well) Not that insurance companies are perfect either. Lol
    -M-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Needing insurance to cover infertility treatments [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently uninsured and am having fertility issues and have to have surgery to conseve. It is very expensive and I am not offered ins. Through my employer. Is there any ins. Agencies that cover these types of procedures? I am desperate and am willing to pay anything for it.

Insurance full cover [ 3 Answers ]

So I was driving down the street when someone cut me off by going in my lane from the right side and he got a stop sign so. I was going 50 mph and he got in my lane he was going like 10mph so I switched to the right lane ( it's a 4 lane street 2 going 2 comming) so I had to go on the right side ...

Insurance to Cover Infertility Treatments [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find a health insurance that covers infertility treatments in WV. Please let me know. Thanks :)

Will Insurance Cover In My State? [ 1 Answers ]

I am contemplating taking a job in VA. However, I live in WV. Will the new company's plan (Blue Cross) be accepted at the physicians we use here in WV? Thanks for any input.

View more questions Search