Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kat555lady Posts: 88, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 02:52 AM
    Hp Pavilion slimline S 3100Y
    Is this a good computer?

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
    - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 641 w/ HT Technology, 3.2GHz
    - 1GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x512)
    - Integrated Intel(R) 950
    - USB modem for dial-up Internet access
    - 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    - LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    - 15-in-1 memory card reader, USB, headphone port
    - No TV Tuner w/remote control
    - Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
    - Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    - HP keyboard and HP scroller mouse
    dan261291 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 04:42 AM
    What would you like to use your computer for?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Where did you get those specs from. The 3100 model of the Slimline is current (the Y indicates an online config), but that processor appears very old. Best Buy had a Slimline model 3100N on sale last weel for $504, but with an AMD 4000+ processor which is way better than a P4 641.

Jul 16, 2007, 03:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dan261291
    What would you like to use your computer for?

I'm using the computer for pictures (storage of my pictures and downloading pictures from webshots etc.) Music, watching and downloading movies, being able to watch video clips and listen to music on the web etc. Surfing the internet, e-mail etc. etc. and play games

Jul 16, 2007, 03:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Where did you get those specs from. The 3100 model of the Slimline is current (the Y indicates an online config), but that processor appears very old. Best Buy had a Slimline model 3100N on sale last weel for $504, but with an AMD 4000+ processor whihc is way better than a P4 641.

I ordered the PC from HP after they told me on the phone that my current pc's hard drive was messed up. The specs I got from the e-mail they sent me confirming my order. It cost me 499.00, they said they were giving me a deal since I've been using HP for over 10 years.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 03:26 AM
    I definitely think that those specs are sweet, but if you want to improve your vista ratings you would have to add more RAM..

If you are using your PC for what you explained above then those specs are good enough but for a better picture add a 512mb graphics card;)

Jul 16, 2007, 05:34 AM
    Are you sure that's the processor? I just went to HP.com and that unit with the same specs prices out at $467! If you bring it up to an Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4300 (1.8GHz) processor (a much better one), the price is still only $537.

I would definitely go back to them and check the specs. Go to Hp.com first and get the pricing then call them and tell them you think they made a mistake. But I would look at the 6150e. You can get one with the AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 4000+ dual-core - 2.1GHz processor and a better graphics with all the other specs for $511.

I also agree that you want a better graphics card. The problem with that unit is its not easily upgradeable.

Jul 18, 2007, 03:10 AM
    Are you sure that's the processor? I just went to HP.com and that unit with the same specs prices out at $467! if you bring it up to an Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4300 (1.8GHz) processor (a much better one), the price is still only $537.

I would definitely go back to them and check the specs. Go to Hp.com first and get the pricing then call them and tell them you think they made a mistake. But I would look at the 6150e. You can get one with the AMD Athlon(TM) 64 X2 4000+ dual-core - 2.1GHz processor and a better graphics with all the other specs for $511.

I also agree that you want a better graphics card. The problem with that unit is its not easily upgradeable.
    Thanks very much for the advice Scott but I guess its too late now. After reading your advice and that of the others I was going to call them today and see if I could change things as you described above but the computer arrived today before I had the chance. It wasn't suppose to even be ready until the 24th. Now that I have the computer canI still get a better graphics card?

Jul 18, 2007, 05:22 AM
    The unit does have one PCI Express slot open. So you could add a PCI Express video card to it. The manual should talk about upgrading video.

Jul 19, 2007, 01:29 AM
    The unit does have one PCI Express slot open. So you could add a PCI Express video card to it. The manual should talk about upgrading video.

Thank you very much Scott. I sure hope I like this new vista. I don't know anyone who has it and the people on the different help sites like this one don't speak to highly of it. I guess I'll find out.

Jul 19, 2007, 05:29 AM
    I speak relatively highly of it. Its pretty stable on my PC and, though it takes some getting used to, It has many nice features.

P.S. I just noticed your comment for Dan's post. I think that was unfair. Often the judgement of what is a good computer depends on how its going to be used. What might be good for someone just doing some word processing and Internet surfing might not meet the needs of someone using CAD programs. So its common to ask what you use a PC for before advising. A Negative (disagree) comment should ONLY be used when the response is inaccurate or incorrect in its facts.

Jul 20, 2007, 02:32 AM
    First, I want to apologize for giving Dan a low rating but it wasn't because of his asking me what I was using the computer for that's understandable and important when choosing a computer. The low rating and no help comment were because after I answered and said what I was using the computer for I never heard back from him again. If he would have answered back I would have given him a high rating. However, after reading your post I tried to change it and couldn't so I sent him a private post and did apologize and explain why I did so.
    Thanks very much for your info about Vista. I do hope it doesn't take too long to get used to, meaning I hope its user friendly.

Thanks Scott, Sorry for the low rating of Dan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hp pavilion recovery<windows root>system32hal.dll [ 1 Answers ]

I made a mistake of not burning my recovery disks out of the system. Now I have a problem with the system and it is showing this error that Windows could not start because the following file is missing System32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file. Could you please assist so I...

Please help with my hp pavilion a200n cd-rom [ 2 Answers ]

OK... im a big gamer but my mom picked out the computer for my birthday.. it runs the games I like.. rather used to but now my cd-rom is totally *****ed up I got new cd-roms blah blah same thing... I got a new "wire thingy" that runs from the cd rom to the motherboard.. SAME THING.. I also put in...

HP Pavilion a200n Desktop - no XP cd? [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased an HP Pavilion a200n Desktop in 2003 and am wanting to format the hardrive, but I now realized that I do not have an operating system CD. The HP website suggests creating a recovery CD. However, won't that just restore the system back to the state it was in when the recovery CD...

HP Pavilion hibernate problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Don't know if it's a hardware or software problem, (I'm on XP home) but if I hibernate with mains power on and try to bring back to life on battery power, the screen stays blank (and black) regardless of what keys I hit. I have to force close it and restart. I think it's the same when I...

Using HP Pavilion application recovery cd [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk, I'm getting ready to do a reformat using the application recovery disk that came with my computer 5 years ago. I didn't get a separate windows 98 disk so I gather its on this disk from HP that came with my computer when I got it. Everything will be the way it was when it came...

View more questions Search