Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beantown08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Summons for Debt
    I have received a summons (the law office taped to my door this morning) in response to a debt from when I was in college from Chase Manhatten Bank. The origonal amount I owed was around $1500 but this was years ago and I've moved several times so now it's @ $3500. The law firm had been calling my parents house and sending letters but I don't see them often so when I received the info from my parents I called them 3 times and left messages stating my new address and phone number, I received no call back. I finally wrote them a letter with my updated info stating that I would like to settle this debt (or at least take the appropriate steps to do so). They finally called me back and I spoke with someone about my options they said I could either pay $200 weekly or pay around $2500 in a lump sum. I told them that I would weigh my options and call them back. I spoke with my grandmother and she told me not to give them any money until I confirmed that they were legit and that I should have more options than they listed. So this was last month and I have to move out of my apartment building because it was sold so I had to put this on the back burner. Since then they have been sending me letters that I agreed on a payment plan (which I never did) and that I haven't been foolowing through on my commitment on this plan. Sorry this is so long and drawn out- do you have any idea what my options are? Any info would be helpful! Thanks!
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
    How old is the debt? It may be past the statute of limitations for where you live.

The problem is that you keep contacting them but you don't follow through with anything. You say that your grandmother won't help you unless you have some type of proof that this debt is yours, but you've already verbally admitted to the collector that it is yours. Because of that, they're not going to leave you alone.

You contacted them and offered to settle. They gave you the option of monthly payments or a lump sum; you chose neither so technically, you haven't followed through with the plan. Just because you chose neither doesn't mean that you become exempt.

Your options are to call them again, tell them you want to settle, and see what they offer you. Make sure the offer that they give you is in writing before you send them any money at all.
    douger2006 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Well similar happen to me. I already have other bills I am paying and get calls from this debt collecting office. Same thing, they told me I could pay in one lump sum or 350 by three days or it is going to court or garnish my wages. Then next week I called and get different person with different story. Says I pay in one lump sum or three payments of 500 dollars. Our bills are so tight I cannot come up with that right now. I asked if I could pay 200 a month but he said no, not acceptable, we are going to take you to court and you will pay the court costs and all fees. That they will tack on an extra thousand dollars by the time it was all done. Then he changed his story again and said it could be three to six months before they take me to court. Why do the stories change? Well I plan on paying them but how do I know they are legit? I don't know. They have my account numbers, so I think they are legit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons and Complaint on Old Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I was just served a summons and complaint from one of those collections agencies which have a "legal front" name. I used to work in the legal department of a collections agency, but they still scare me a bit. I have been looking online today and cannot find a format to file a response to the court...

Summons to appear for past cc debt [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I received a summons last Wed. (9-5-07) that has me scheduled to report to a pretrial conference on Mon (9-10-07). The collection agency is suing over a debt they purchased from one of my old credit cards. The last payment that was made on the card was 1-5-02. The Florida statute of limitations...

Summons for old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I received a summons to appear in court for an old credit card debt (I think my last payment was in 2000 or 2001). The SOL in the state in which I resided at the time has expired. How do I prepare myself for court? Or, does the plaintiff have to prove their case? Any help is appreciated! ...

View more questions Search