Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DMBchica17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Private Party sells used car as is in good condition, everything breaks!
    I bought a used subaru in California, the first day noticed, minor wheel noise when going over 45 and cracked rubber door and window insulation,also check engine light was on and not smogged but in the bill of sale she wrote "as is buyer will take care of smog and tires" for 11 hundred I figured it was a good car because the owner said she did regular maintinence
    The woman who sold it to me marked it as "strong" and had a "clean bill of health" but because the light was on I couldn't get it smogged and since last week the alternator broke, the battery died, I had found out it was a salvaged vehicle and the seller didn't tell me anything would be a problem. In fact she told me specifically that she"did not think that any work would need to be done this season"
    Now, because of those two little words as is I want to know if I have any rights to come at her with a reasonable problem? I would like some money for the repairs seeing as I bought it a week ago? What can I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DMBchica17 View Post
    I bought a used subaru in california, the first day noticed, minor wheel noise when going over 45 and cracked rubber door and window insulation,also check engine light was on and not smogged but in the bill of sale she wrote "as is buyer will take care of smog and tires" for 11 hundred i figured it was a good car because the owner said she did regular maintinence
    the woman who sold it to me marked it as "strong" and had a "clean bill of health" but because the light was on i couldnt get it smogged and since last week the alternator broke, the battery died, i had found out it was a salvaged vehicle and the seller didnt tell me anything would be a problem. In fact she told me specifically that she"did not think that any work would need to be done this season"
    now, because of those two little words as is i want to know if i have any rights to come at her with a reasonable problem? i would like some money for the repairs seeing as i bought it a week ago? what can i do?

You bought it as is. Did you have a mechanic check it over before you bought it?

I think - unfortunately for you - that you are stuck.

I'm off to summon someone who knows cars and dealerships and all but I think she'll say the same thing.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DMBchica17 View Post
    I bought a used subaru in california, the first day noticed, minor wheel noise when going over 45 and cracked rubber door and window insulation,also check engine light was on and not smogged but in the bill of sale she wrote "as is buyer will take care of smog and tires" for 11 hundred i figured it was a good car because the owner said she did regular maintinence
    the woman who sold it to me marked it as "strong" and had a "clean bill of health" but because the light was on i couldnt get it smogged and since last week the alternator broke, the battery died, i had found out it was a salvaged vehicle and the seller didnt tell me anything would be a problem. In fact she told me specifically that she"did not think that any work would need to be done this season"
    now, because of those two little words as is i want to know if i have any rights to come at her with a reasonable problem? i would like some money for the repairs seeing as i bought it a week ago? what can i do?
    I'm not sure what the year, model or mileage of this vehicle is, but here goes my opinion:

Basically, if you signed something that stated you were purchasing the vehicle "as is,"
    Then that's how you bought it... but I'll elaborate anyway.

Minor wheel noise could be a worn bearing or could simply be cupped tires; you agreed to take care of the tires. If they're bad, I would do those first to see if that's the problem.

The check engine light was on; you also agreed to take care of this problem so you cannot hold her liable for that whatsoever.

Being a salvage vehicle doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle. Not sure on CA laws but in WI, that information is marked on the title and doesn't need to be disclosed unless you're buying from a dealer.

You mentioned that the alternator "broke" and that the battery died. Do you mean it stopped charging? If the alternator stopped charging and you continued to drive the vehicle, that definitely will cause the battery to die so you can't hold her liable for that, either. As for the alternator going bad, it's impossible to foresee that problem. An alternator can be charging at 14V one day and quit the next; you can't try to hold her liable for something that worked when you bought it.

The cracked rubber is only cosmetic; trying to hold the seller liable for that would be like trying to hold her liable for rust.

In my opinion, you paid $1100 for a running vehicle. I think you got a heck of a deal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 19, 2008, 03:15 PM

Yes, 1100, that normally is not even a running car around here.

But you never buy a car on the sellers word, you have a certified mechanic check the vechile before you pay a penny. You test drive it before you buy it,

Yes it is a "as is sale"

Now the one issue, Califorina has a law that the seller of liable for the vechile passing emmissions.

So I am not sure what your signing away your liablity on that is, The seller had to know it would not pass, since they added that clause specificly in your sell. Since just a "as is" would not have waived that.

As for the alternator, never know when those go out,

Sounds like you knew nothing about buyting a car and have just paid 1100 for a good lesson and everything not to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private party used car fraud in CA, who pays? [ 4 Answers ]

Recently I purchased a 2000 BMW323i. The Seller produced a hand written Bill of Sale, which states "this vehicle includes a fully-paid transferable Warranty for an additional 2000miles, see Warranty for details". I was not provided a copy of the Warranty until I transferred it to my name. It...

How do I get car title from a private party [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a car from a friend. Have had the car for over a year and it is paid off. The friend said he was working on getting the lost title but I never got it. He has since moved to another state and refuses to return my call. I now have a car that I have no title to cannot register or get...

Private party leinholder [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to recover a vehicle that I let a man make monthly payments to me . I am not a finance company or bank. I'm a private party leinholder and so its states so on the title, the man is a month behind on his payment, I want to repo vehicle and hold it till he can come up with the money to...

Used Car Case - Private Party [ 6 Answers ]

I stay in California and I had bought the car just 2 months ago from a private party . The car needed some repairs ( Cold start problem ) and after I bought the car , the mechanic fixed the problem by placing some part in a tank overnight to clean it up and did some tuning on the car . Now I had...

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

View more questions Search