Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rrad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Can you use 1 thermostat with separate AC and heat units?
    My house has thermostats all over the place. The house has an oil burner and 3 zones of heat. There's a separate AC system with 2 zones ( 2 separate outdoor RUUD systems ) . I have 2 thermostats in my bedroom, and I'd like to replace them with 1. Can 1 thermostat control 2 separate systems, 1 heat and 1 AC?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 28, 2012, 01:12 PM
    My house has thermostats all over the place. The house has an oil burner and 3 zones of heat. There's a separate AC system with 2 zones ( 2 separate outdoor RUUD systems ) . I have 2 thermostats in my bedroom, and I'd like to replace them with 1. Can 1 thermostat control 2 separate systems, 1 heat and 1 AC?

Yes they can be combined BUT it will be a challenge for even a regular HVAC service person. It seems like you probably have many 24 volt transformers (at least one per system IE 1 heat and 1 for cooling) that it can get quite complex for a home owner to figure out without causing damage to your system. There are thermostats designed to use two transformers but the 3 zone system for heat will probably take a professional to figure out so it works properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 thermostat, 3 separate units [ 0 Answers ]

I live in a large victorian house. It is broken up to 3 separate units. I live downstairs, and 2 other tenants live upstairs in separate units. There is only 1 thermostat in the house and its in my unit. There are 3 separate meters. Since its central A/C and heat, with only 1 thermostat, will...

How to install 3 a/c units on one thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Can I install a single themostat to (2) geothemal heat pumps with a floor radiant heating system?

Heat doesn't come on when thermostat calls for heat, changed thermostat and switch [ 0 Answers ]

Changed thermostat and switch reset wires and worked for the weekend, until last night didn't turn on and I had to press the reset button what else could it be?

Whole house heat pump vs independendent ac/ heat units for no fl [ 1 Answers ]

Is a whole house heat pump vs the independent ac/heat suicase units better and cost effitive

One thermostat for separate Heat and A/C systems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a mobile home with a forced air natural gas furnace and a totally separate single package air conditioner unit with its own fan/compressor/condenser. The systems share nothing execpt the duct work and each have their own thermostats. Question - Can I buy a single heat/cool...

View more questions Search