Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mboerner Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2010, 12:05 PM
    Oil-burner doesn't continue heating hot water for water heater during warm weather
    I have an oil-fired burner connected to a baseboard hot water heating system and the hot water heater. There are five zones for heating and one zone for the hot water heater. In the winter, having enough hot water is never a problem. However, when the weather gets warmer and the heating zone valves shut off, we usually run out of hot water by the end of the day. I turned the water heater zone valve to "manual" to keep it open all the time, but the oil burner doesn't kick on unless I turn a heating zone valve up all the way. Also, I notice that the housing on the zone valve seems very warm. It was replaced less than two years ago. Is this normal? Is there something else I should do to ensure the oil burner keeps heating water during warm weather? Thanks for any help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 7, 2010, 04:37 AM
    Usually there is a thermostatic control attached in your system that acts as a over ride so the boiler will activate and hold temperature for domestic hot water heating service during nonheating times of the year. There are many ways to accomplish this task so there can be many different wiring and control setups.

Sometimes the main boiler control is designed for this task and other times a independent control system is used. If you can post pictures of the controls along with the brand and exact model numbers it is possible we can go further into the discovery process and find the defective component.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure in a oil burner [ 5 Answers ]

Over the last several months we have lost our hot water pressure in all of our showers and sinks. My neighbor said that he changed his coil in his boiler about 4 years ago because of the same problem. I know we have a hard water problem which I just bought a water softener which I am going to...

Why my hot water heater will not keep warm water [ 8 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater and it has work great up till a few days ago. It will start of in the shower like the typical hot water, cold then hot. The hot water will give little shots of cold water while in the shower. Then it will go cold, turn it hotter and it get back hot then it goes cold again....

What makes hot water heater blower continue to turn on and off? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Bradford White hot water heater with a power vent. After using hot water the blower will turn on and stay on for the proper amount of time. After shutting off it will turn on and off for seconds at a time. This goes on for 5 - 10 minutes. Can anyone suggest what causes this and what is...

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

Warm radiators when the heating is off, and hot water is on [ 0 Answers ]

Please Help, Does anyone know what the problem is with my central heating system. The radiators in the house are warm, but I have not been calling for central heating, only water. Radiators are warm both upstairs and down. I have a gas fired boiler down stairs in the kitchen and hot water...

View more questions Search