Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnston2008 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 09:26 PM
    Furnace blowing cold air and shuts off
    My furnace is blowing out cold air some of the time. I went down and took off the panel and turned the power switch off, then back on. It goes through the normal sequence to light the burners: The fan kicks on then the igniter switch heats up, it makes some clicks, then the burners come on. As soon as the igniter switch starts to cool off, or dim down the burners turn off. It repeats that process three times, fairly quickly, then it just shuts off-leaving the fan on, thus the cold air. From what I have read, these sounds like it could be a number of things, but if anyone knows what I should replace, or check first, or has any input at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jessie

Feb 3, 2010, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnston2008 View Post
    My furnace is blowing out cold air some of the time. I went down and took off the panel and turned the power switch off, then back on. It goes through the normal sequence to light the burners: The fan kicks on then the igniter switch heats up, it makes some clicks, then the burners come on. As soon as the igniter switch starts to cool off, or dim down the burners turn off. It repeats that process three times, fairly quickly, then it just shuts off-leaving the fan on, thus the cold air. From what I have read, these sounds like it could be a number of things, but if anyone knows what I should replace, or check first, or has any input at all, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jessie
    I forgot to add that it is blowing warm air some of the time, otherwise it would be exemely cold in my house.
    mikemmm Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 10:39 PM

It sounds like your flame sensor is dirty. Depending on what type of furnace you have you should be able to get a diagnostic code from the main control board. A chart on the front of the burner panel or backside of panel will indicate an ignition failure. It could be other things but try to get the error code. Some times furnaces have a small viewing window on the panel to let you count flashes from the board. If the control board is located in the blower section of the furnace you need to do it with the door on otherwise the door interlock will turn power of to the furnace and rest the control. Get the code first and then if your code legend is on the backside of that door you can figure ot the code. Flame sensor are usually easy to clean with some steel wool.(no soap of coarse). The flame sensor ensures ignition has occurred as you do not want raw gas entering your funace for more than several seconds. The flame sensor looks like a small wire a little less diameter than a coat hanger. They vary in location and style depending on which furnace you have. I have diagnosed and solved this problem over the phone with friends. You can't really blow anything up because this safety will not allow the burner to ignite for long if something is wrong and they are usually so simple to get at it is hardly worth a service call when I am really busy. That is about the only thing I would recommend someone that is not trained try to fix. Hope this helps.

Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 AM

Thank you very much. I see what I can find down there tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioner/furnace combo in mobile home is blowing cold air [ 8 Answers ]

This is an all electric mobile home that has an outside air conditioner with heating system. It is blowing cold air when the heat is turned on at the thermoniter.

Forced Air furnace is only blowing cold air [ 4 Answers ]

I turned my furnace on for the first time this fall and it is not heating. The blower works And is blowing cold air. The furnace is a forced air furnace. I have lived in this townhouse for about two years and not sure what to do. Have called a couple people but everyone is really busy right...

Furnace Heating : Cold air blowing from vent from one level/ Warm air in the other [ 1 Answers ]

Ours is a 2 level house (1995), both levels heated by the same furnace ( YORK Multiposition Gas-Fired Furnace MODEL P2MP 32-112 MBH OUTPUT) . We have two digital thermostats (Hunter Programmable type) located on each floor. We were out for a few days and when we came back the lower level is getting...

Furnace blowing cold air.starts out warm, goes to cold. [ 6 Answers ]

Hoping for help here. I recently had my ignitor replaced. Before that, the furnace wasn't working at all. Now it starts blowing warm (not hot) air, then gradually over a period of a couple of hours, the air cools down until it is completely cold and the temperature in the house drops drastically....

Furnace blowing cold air! [ 2 Answers ]

i have been experiancing problems with my furnace blowing out cold air, the first time i checked the code light it was working normal, the second time it was flashing continuosly fast and it meant call for heat, the third time i checked it said to replace the IFC!! i have no idea what the ifc is,...

View more questions Search