Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoopplaya4 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Troubleshoot Wiring a Dual Electrical Outlet
    Hi all,

I hope this is an easy one to answer.

In my kitchen, I was replacing old electrical outlets (USA - 15a 120V). There are two specific outlets that are side-by-side. They fit in a double-sized box. Now, the outlets that I am replacing were a little bit older, and so I am a bit confused on how to install them.

Basically, coming out of the box from the wall are two sets of wires: 2 white and 2 black. From the first strand, I hooked up the black wire to the brass screw, and the white wire to the silver screw. I hooked these up to the screws on the bottom of the outlet.

For the other strand coming out of the wall, I did the same thing as above.

Now, when I turned the power back on, I noticed two things:

First, when testing one wall outlet, it did not give me any power at all. However, the other one worked fine.

Second, I noticed that another wall outlet about 8 feet to the left (in the kitchen) does not work, nor does the wall switch to my sink disposer.

Finally, when I first pulled the original outlets out, I noticed that the previous installation had a black wire and white wire going from one outlet to the one right next to. Sort of like a daisy chain. I'm not sure if that is what's causing the issue, as I do not have these "short wires" attached to anything right now.

Any ideas on how to get this thing working? Thanks!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 08:02 PM

U have to put the jumper wires from one outlet to the other.

One pair of wires is hot, the other pair feed the outlet 8' away and the switch. It get power from jumpers.

Chuck

May 20, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Regarding the jumper wires, does it matter where I specifically connect them? And how do I connect them? Do I attach them to the screws? Thanks.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

May 20, 2009, 08:18 PM

You should have another set of screws on each outlet with no wires on them. Connect a white jumper wire from the silver screw of one outlet to the silver screw of the other outlet. Connect a black jumper wire from the brass screw of one outlet to the brass screw of the other outlet.

May 20, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Okay, I'll try that out and see if I can get it working. Thanks.

May 21, 2009, 07:40 AM

Worked great! Thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Electrical outlet [ 5 Answers ]

I want to fix the faulty wiring in the electrical outlets in my house. I know nothing about how things work. I would like to try to fix it if it is possible. It is an old house . The out lets work but when I use a APC surge protector bar the red button comes on which means faulty wiring . So I am...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electrical Outlet Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an regular outlet (not GFCI), spilled water making coffee, had the breaker kick off, replaced the breaker and regular outlet; tried a GFCI outlet; when I reset the gfci outlet the breaker still kicks off; any suggestions?

Wiring electrical outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp breaker on a 220v outlet that I plug my RV into, I'd like to install a 110v receptical next to it, getting my power from it. How do I go about this? Thanks

View more questions Search