Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bbseaton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Install ceiling fan light socket and fan switch
    I removed broken light switch pull chain only to find out light socket was also bad. Removed light socket and tried to replace. The old light socket had a wire in addition to the standard black and white. Can I use the standard light socket or do I need to find this socket with third wire? I hooked black wire from light switch along with black wire coming from ceiling fan, then hooked black light switch wire to blue wire from ceiling . Didn't work! Blew a fuse ! Can you help..
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:14 PM
    What 3 wires did the old socket have? Pictures would help. I don't recall a 3 wire light socket, unless it's ground.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

How to install ceiling light. [ 1 Answers ]

Help is needed. We live in a new home that came equipped with basic bare bulb ceiling lights. They are set up to install ceiling fans. My brother did in fact install a ceiling fan for me that would throw the breaker switch and make awful noises. To make a long story short my husband took the...

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Fan light switch install [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I replaced the lamp base on my ceiling fan, just two wires, I also want to change the pull chain switch for the light on and off. How do I wire this. I have tried and always blow the circuit breaker. Where do I hook up the pull chain wires? Thanks for any help.:eek:

View more questions Search