Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schufly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch
    I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991).

I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and both rooms have the same type of light switch. On the left is a regular light switch (this operates the light on the fan for our bedroom & in the family room it operates anything plugged into the lower oulets in the room.) To the right of the light switch is a round dimmer switch that operates the fan speed in both rooms - it clicks around to adjust the speed.

I am not taking down the ceiling fan (unless I have to because it's a battle at 5'3"!), but rather attaching the light kit to it. I have tried several attachments and cannot seem to get the light to turn on using the light switch; it only turns on with the fan using the dimmer switch.

The light kit has the basic white and black wires to be attached. The fan on the other hand has one of each of the following colors: black, blue, white, brown, orange & red.

Like I said above, I would like the fan to continue to run off the dimmer, but the light to turn on using the switch.

Please help me! :) And if possible, please keep explanations basic in their terms rather than technical - my knowledge is strictly that of a lay person (trial & error/educated guesses.) Thank you in advance for some speedy help :)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 05:56 PM
    You can't do this without taking down the fan, and running extra wires from the fan to the switch (or the outlets).

Aug 8, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Is it possible that the wiring for this already exists? If I take down the ceiling fan, is there a way to tell whether the wiring is already set up this way? (the same way it is upstairs in the bedroom).
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 06:05 PM
    I would bet it's not there, because the switch controls the outlets, as opposed to controlling nothing (indicating an unused wire in the fan box).

But if you take the fan down, note how many wires are in the box above it.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Oh, BTW, at the bottom of the fan, there should be a pair of wires not connected to anything. White and blue?

Aug 8, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Because there was no light attached to the fan before, none of the six wires are attached to anything... black, blue, white, brown, orange & red.
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 07:12 PM
    A light only takes two wires. Only two wires should be free. The rest should all be connected to something.

Send a picture.
    Nathaniel B Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 07:03 AM
    How can I convert a new ceiling fan to use a dimmer switch please?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black. FAN OUTLET...

Dimmer switch for a fan and light [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed a dual dimmer switch for a light and fan on the same switch. I can adjust the fan speed only from one side but every time I adjust the light switch, the fan also adjusts according to how I adjust the light. I have a black(hot) wire, a red wire and a bare copper cable coming from...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

View more questions Search