Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bryan_R Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Kansas: landlord won't fix air conditioning, what can I do?
    Hello. I rent an one-bedroom apartment, I live alone. Over 30 days ago, I notified my landlord by phone that my air conditioning unit did not work. They made out a work order. No one came by to fix it. About a week later, when rent was due, I attached a detailed note about the problem to my rent when I turned it in.

I heard nothing from them. Then, a few days later, I called them again. This time they sent 2 guys who work for the complex. They were there all of 2 minutes. They said the fan was broken and that they would be by Monday to fix it (this was on a Friday)

Monday came, but they did not.

This was 3 weeks ago. Since then I have notified them in person, and again by phone. I am beginning to get upset, I told them I wanted it to be fixed today in my last call. The person running the phone thought this was a outrageous, and told me that they had a lot of air conditioning units to get fixed, and that they are busy fixing them.

So, more than one month after I first notified them and they are STILL working on other tenant's AC units? And mine is still not fixed.

I'm sure you can imagine my situation. My apt is over 80 degrees every single day. Opening the windows and running fans only does so much good, since the afternoon sun bakes the roof and the heat does not seem to leave.

So my question: What are my options here. 1. I think this is grounds for getting out of my lease. Also, I have heard that in some states, if I notify them and they do not fix it within X amount of time, I can hire an individual myself and make my apartment pay the bill. Is this true, and can I do this in Kansas?

I want to state that I would rather not move, as I am in a tricky situation right now at my job and my personal life. I just want to get the unit fixed ASAP.

Please, all responses will be helpful. THANK YOU!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 11:13 PM
    If your apartment place is falls under the scrutiny of a city or state building or housing inspector, then I would suggest contacting them. That would put pressure on the landlord to fix the problem.

Document everything. Also, when speaking with people who should be able to help you in solving the problem, always have a witness with you, even someone else on another line when you are speaking on the phone with someone. Let the person who you are calling know that someone else is on the other line and have your witness say something to verify that to the person whom you are calling.

Just some ideas.
    goman85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 04:00 PM
    I live in KS too and just moved into an apt with a broken AC. The complex advertised they have AC, but mine is broken. I've been trying to get it fixed for 3 weeks now.

Luckily, my mom is an attorney. Kansas state law says that if a maintenance request isn't resolved within 14 days of the written request,the tenant has the right to cancel their lease and move out on the first of the month, 30 days after the 14 days. Landlord must pay for financial damages... my deposit, pet fee, redecorating fee, and moving expenses. She faxed them a letter stating that she was my attorney and I will vacate my apt. if it isn't fixed within this time frame. And, wouldn't you know it, the very next day they took it seriously and have been working all day for the last 4 days trying to fix it.

1st I was told it wasn't warm enough to fix it... then on a day when it was 93 degrees out, they said they were replacing the compressor. Still didn't fix it. 2 days later they said they were replacing the coil. Didn't work. Then they said they were replacing the entire unit. Still didn't work, and I still have no AC. But at least they know I mean business and are trying to get it fixed now.

My advice, play hardball. You've been nice enough, it's their own fault that they're practicing unethical business. Find an attorney if it's that important to you. Most landlords (the smart ones) would rather deal with fixing your AC than deal with a lawsuit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

When the AC run water pools around the base of my furance. Is this a problem? What can I do to fix it?

Air conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

How do I calculate how many tons of A/C I need to cool a house. I don't want the contractor to rip me off

Landlord won't fix dryer, what should I do? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently moved in to a house with two other roommates, and all three of us are on the lease. Recently, the dryer sprouted a gas leak. We called the gas company, they identified the source and shut off the gas to the dryer. We called the landlord and she told us, in so many words, that she...

Air Conditioning [ 7 Answers ]

You should have 5 wires running to the outside unit. 2 big heavy, insulated ones plus a ground from the breaker outside by the unit, and a couple of little insulated ones coming out from the furnace. With the thermostat calling for cooling, the big ones should have 240 V between them and the...

View more questions Search