Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seadaddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Wiring on dimmer switch
    I have a leviton 057 dimmer switch , two black wires and one green. Have 12/3 wire in box which wire goes were?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
    When you say 12-3 I assume there is a black, red, and white, along with a bare ground.

Really depends on how this 12-3 is connected at the other end. There can be any combination of how someone connected the cable.

What type of switch was connected to the 12-3?

A 3 way? If so, the dimmer you have is not the correct one, you need a 3 way dimmer.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Also, if switch only had 2 wires, remove switch and connect dimmer. Like above, if 3 wires were attached(not counting ground), you would need a three way dimmer.
    There are dimmers that use neutral also, not your case.
    KaFidela Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 04:49 PM
    If you have 3 wires in the box, can you identify the color of the wires? If one of the wires is green, that's the "ground wire" which is to be connected to the green wire in the dimmer switch and to the box, if the box is metal. The two remaining wires are the common or "hot wire" and the "return wire" which should be connected to the dimmer switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dimmer switch hot [ 4 Answers ]

We recently changed over fluorescent lighting to track lighting with a dimmer switch. Recently I noticed that there was a bit of a blue spark when we turned the switch off and the switch itself was warm. What would the problem here be?:confused:

Dimmer switch [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to change a regular light switch (2 wires red and black) with a dimmer switch with 3 wires ( 2 black and a green) where do you connect these 3 wires? THX.

Need assistance wiring ceiling fan/light to wall switch with dimmer [ 2 Answers ]

The celing outlet has one 3-conductor wire running to the wall outlet (black, white, red, ground). I hooked up the celing fan's white to outlet's white, the ground to ground and then ceiling fan's black to black. I also hooked the fan's light wiring (blue) to the outlet black. FAN OUTLET...

Dimmer switch is rinning [ 1 Answers ]

I have installed two dimmer switches on two different lights and both are single pole. Now I have a high frequency ring tone when the switch is set on a low setting. The switches can be used for single or three way. Any suggestions other turn up the stereo? hoff179

Dimmer Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of four standard toggle switches next to each other all controlling different lights within the house. I want to replace one of those toggle switchs with a dimmer for one of the lights. I just wanted to maker sure that putting a dimmer switch in between the other toggle switches...

View more questions Search