Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SFM Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 05:16 AM
    Existing no ground wiring and adding new.
    I currently have a two gang switch box where there is an original non-grounded circit running to one of the switches. I am adding a new circit and switch to this box which of course has a ground, do I pigtail all the ground wires together and run one of the tails to the grounded switch (circuit) and one to the original ungrounded switch (circuit)?

If I where to add a light, switch or outlet to a orignial non grounded circuit I have to run a separate ground wire to that new light, switch or outlet correct?

Thanks
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 26, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SFM
    I currently have a two gang switch box where there is an original non-grounded circit running to one of the switches. I am adding a new circit and switch to this box which of course has a ground, do I pigtail all the ground wires together and run one of the tails to the grounded switch (circuit) and one to the original ungrounded switch (circuit)?

If I where to add a light, switch or outlet to a orignial non grounded circuit I have to run a separate ground wire to that new light, switch or outlet correct?

Thanks
    SFM,
    First up, you are right in connecting all bare bonding conductors in the box along with a pigtail connection to each switch. If the existing switch does not have aground terminal, then change out that switch for a ground type. Ground the box if it is metal.
    When adding a new light switch leg circuit, install the cable with a grounding wire (nmb w/gnd) and bond the luminaire housing to that switch leg back to the 2gg box grounding.
    Match up the size wire to the existing branch circuit conductors being used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding Shower To Existing Garden Tub! [ 5 Answers ]

I need some advice on how to add a shower to a beautiful existing garden tub we have in our master bath. The tub came with the house we bought back in 1990. We have carpet in our bath which has become old, stained, and a bit moldy and plan on re-doing the floor. However, the tub is a bit of a...

Adding Breakers to Existing Box [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement in a large 8 year old home. We've added about 1500 sq feet in the basement and 5-6 new circuits. The breaker box, and a sub panel are full, with several mini breakers. We've been told that as part of the final electrical inspection a "load analysis" will be done....

Adding a heater to an existing circuit. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to place a 240V electric base board heater in a room. In the adjacent room I have a conveniently placed electric wall oven by itself on a 50 Amp circuit with 8 gauge wire. The oven is only rated at 30 Amps and the heater at 4.5 amps. So, I want to run wire from the oven to where the...

Adding a concrete extension to an existing patio [ 2 Answers ]

I need to add an extension to my patio aprox 4'x4'. It needs to be 4" thick to support my AC unit. I need to know how to do it.

View more questions Search