Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frunkus Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2010, 05:23 AM
    Extension Cord from 3 prong 50a 250v plug (male) to 3 prong 250v 20a (female)?
    I want to connect my ac unit 208v need 20a fuses, to my stove plug which have a 50a 250v type outlets.

I have this
    http://images.marketworks.com/hi/58/57750/pas5864-bku-ea-2.jpg

And want to fit into this
    http://applianceguru.com/dryers/dryer_outlet.jpg
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 14, 2010, 05:55 AM

First, I hope your a/c says 208/240 not just 208.
    Second, that is a 30 amp dryer receptacle you are showing, not a 50 amp stove receptacle.
    Third, the plug is a 20 amp, 125 volt plug. Its not going to physically fit either a dryer or a stove receptacle.
    Finally, if you do rig up some kind of connection, you are going to have to reduce breakers to 20 amp.
    Attached Images

Aug 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    First, I hope your a/c says 208/240 not just 208.
    Second, that is a 30 amp dryer receptacle you are showing, not a 50 amp stove receptacle.
    Third, the plug is a 20 amp, 125 volt plug. Its not going to physically fit either a dryer or a stove receptacle.
    Finally, if you do rig up some kind of connection, you are going to have to reduce breakers to 20 amp.
    Yes it is a 208/240
    I just found the wrong picture but it is a 50amp no "L" on the White wire side
    Plug is very much a 20a 250v plug. Because horizontal side is on the right if ground is towards the bottom.

Aug 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunkus View Post
    Yes it is a 208/240
    I just found the wrong picture but it is a 50amp no "L" on the White wire side
    Plug is very much a 20a 250v plug. because horizontal side is on the right if ground is towards the bottom.
    http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3dt...ugelShNKie66mM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...EL._SS400_.jpg
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 16, 2010, 01:50 PM

My apologies, you are correct, that is a 240V plug. Be absolutely certain that you reduce the breakers to match the wiring you use for the extension.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3-prong generator & 4-prong power cord [ 11 Answers ]

My 5kw Coleman Powermate generator has two 110v receptacles and two 220v receptacles. Both of the 220v receptacles are the 3-prong blade type. My six circuit Reliance ProTran transfer switch has the 4 prong female twist lock. Both ends of my 30amp 4-wire cord are twist lock. The end for the...

Can I plug in a 2 prong cord into a 3 prong extension cord? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can safely plug in a 2-prong lamp cord into a 3-prong extension cord. Thanks.

How to change a four prong stove cord to a three prong oven cod [ 0 Answers ]

I have four prongs on my stove I need to change it to three prongs I need to know how to connect the wires

What do I do with the white wire when converting a 4-prong dryer cord to a 3-prong? [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an older house and have a brand new Maytag Bravos dryer. I took the 4 prong cord off and there is a white wire that was installed under the middle prong of the 4 prong cord. The white wire is part of the dryer... it comes from a bunch of wires inside the dryer. I am now putting a 3...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

View more questions Search