Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chaseutley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2007, 08:25 AM
    Wet Basement/French Drain
    I have a basement that gets water in it when it rains heavily, covering one window helped, but didn't eliminate the problem there, and in heavy rain, it seems to be coming in from all over. How much help can cleaning and fixing gutters be? Do I need a french drain system, and how do I know what I should pay for installing something like that. I don't think there is anything in place now, sump pump or anything.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Chaseutley- A french drain would help if installed right, also getting something on the roof drains to devert water away from the house will also help. Ive seen a lot roof drains on bottom end have the black plastic field line , with your case get the kind with out holes , in order to get water away from house. Talk to a good plumber that has exp. In this type work . Also the inside of basement walls can be painted with ( waterlock) That will also help. Good Luck F.B.E.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 28, 2007, 05:04 PM
    You did not mention how your home is graded but you must do all that you can do to get rain water away from the building. Slope the yard away from the house, clean/install gutters,downspouts and extensions to the downspouts. Once you have done this then we may be able to tell how/where the water is still getting inside. The french drain may be needed if the ground water is raising above your foundation and then we'd go with tile onder the floor and a sump pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking a Wet Bar in the Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a wet bar in my basement. The wet bar sink will be located within a couple feet or so from a black PVC drain pipe which has a cap and a square bolt at the bottom. That drain pipe runs upward through the house and the kitchen sink upstairs drains into that pipe. My...

Basement wet-bar vent [ 2 Answers ]

My basement is finished w/ 1/2 bath & wet bar. Bathroom sink drains to the rough-in meant for shower drain (long story). On other side of wall, wet bar drains into the same drain as the bathroom sink. Both sinks have their own p-traps (plus the rough-in trap under concrete), but neither has...

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

Wet bar in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink. As I explained in a previous post. "I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for....

Wet basement floor [ 3 Answers ]

In May when I first turned on my ac I had wet spot on my basement floor that came through my carpet. I had to put a condensate pump on near my furnace and water heater. That seemed to solve the problem until yesterday I noticed that the same spot as before is wet again and also around my furnace....

View more questions Search