Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 25, 2007, 03:36 PM
    In need of a new laptop
    My current Sony Vaio GRT is on its way out.
    Suppose dropping it on to a concrete floor hasn't helped much.
    So I have a budget of €2,000 (£1,300, $2,600 US Excluding TAX) for a new one, yes its for work, but that doesn't matter.

Bear in mind my current machine is a P4 2.8 with HT, 1Gb RAM, 60 Gb HDD, 16" screen, DVD write everything weighing in at 4Kg (More info HERE)
    I don't want a girlie light weight machine, but a serious desktop replacement beast.

So what should I go for and why ?
    Brand doesn't matter at all, neither does CPU.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 07:08 AM
    Ben,

I am not sure if you picked one up yet, but here is a website.

HP Laptops, Notebook Computers & Tablet PCs

Lets just say that I am an HP fan.

Joe
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 02:14 PM
    OK after some serious research I've found the one I like.
    It's a Dell XPS M1710.
    I've attached the spec sheet.
    ANy comments ?
    Yes I know is the US spec one, but it's better than the UK version at roughly the same price.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf USA M1710.pdf (28.0 KB, 211 views)
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Dell, why a dell. I do not understand why you would do that. What I have heard about dell is not good. I will avoid it like a plague.

I will take a look at the specs. Then comment again. Remember your talking to a HP Fan. Lol
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Joe, I was an HP fan switched to Sony, but overall I believe that this machine offers the serious power I want.
    If you can find a similar spec'ed HP/Sony machine for the same price then I'm happy to have a look.

Bear in mind my ultimate dream is an Alienware m-ALX *Drool*

HERE's a review of the XPS
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Ben I am just joking, or maybe a bit. The only thing about dell is that you can not use anything generic. Everything you buy or replace it has to be a dell product. That is what I have heard.

I read the specs. It looks very powerful and very top of the line. It looks like a good pic for you Ben.

I do not know if Hp even has anything out there that is so powerful. Keep me posted. Let me know how it works out.

Joe
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 8, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I just want to know how you can justify that much video card for a work machine... I want to work where you work.

I'd step up the processor and RAM a notch myself, instead of the video card, but that's more in line with my work... I could really use 4GB for some of my research.

Spend the extra $2 to plant a tree. I mean come on... it's $2
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Errrmm yesss well I need a high end card for stress testing databases in a graphical interface, well that's what I told my boss anyway.
    Hey come I'm the entire IT department and I like to play games ;)
    I did think about upping the CPU, but didn't really see any advantage, OK a few extra on benchmarking but that's about it.
    The UK doesn't get the "Green" options, otherwise I would have gone for the tree as well.

Feb 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
    If you're picking up the tab for this beast, you might consider the Inspiron instead of the XPS... I just got a very similarly specced E1705 last week (only major difference was the video card) for about half the price.

If the company is picking it up... well, I'm sure there are a few more things you can add. I know the extra RAM could help on the database work, and you can certainly get some mileage out of the better sound card.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 02:59 PM
    I am curious about that too ben. Is the boss picking up the bill? I hope so because it is quite pricey.
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 03:05 PM
    Yep the company's paying, but as mentioned at the beginning I have a budget.
    So I'm going for the most bang for my bucks, pounds, euros.

I think the sound should do me, how many laptops come with surround sound, well almost its got a built in subwoofer.
    Also it has to look uber cool as well.
    The standard Insipron IS a good machine, but a bit pedestrian.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Yes, that is good. It looks very good your choice, but honestly I do not know a lot about a lot of the specs except that your picking top of the line, and my little computer here would stall and die next to yours. Lol I can not even upgrade my memory past 512 mb, I can not even get vista.
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Jo, your not missing anything with Vista, just a fancy UI and that's about it really.
    You only really get the good stuff with Ultimate.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Thank you Ben, I guess a lot of people overestimate the importance of a new system especially when it first comes out. I also was told that Microsoft will support xp for another good 5 or 6 years? So I do not have to worry about a new computer just yet.
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 03:15 PM
    Wait until they get Vista right, and then upgarade.
    It was going to be a major leap forward like Win3.11 to Win95 was, but as ever they cut out some of the best features.
    A new file system was one of the main things I was looking forward too.
    Hey ho, back to Red Hat for me ;)

Feb 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Yeah, Vista is definitely a non-critical upgrade. I got XP on my new machine, and I'll keep it until I'm forced to upgrade.

I'm happy with the Inspiron... yeah, it's fairly common looking, but some of us pay for our work machines out of pocket. One of the perils of living the dream, I suppose. If I get bored of how it looks, I'll just get a few jars of modeling paint and spruce it up a bit. I wonder if that voids the warranty...

You can probably afford to trim out the service plan. Oh, and if you plan on working from two specific places a lot (home office and work office), get the second power adapter. That's the one thing I need to fix about my order.
    BossMan

Feb 8, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Powers sorted, the service plan I have had upgraded, full 4 year on site next business day all for no cost.
    I have a very good account manager and he wants my repeat business ;)
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Feb 8, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Ben I wrote recently about having a BSOD problem with a new Dell E1705. Dell was very responsive, and after a failed third try to fix the problem, they sent me a new E1705. Based on their improved support I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

The E1705 is a great preformer too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My laptop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is Cliff Wise Last nignt my labtop Computer turned off so I went to turn it on it was loading then a blue screen came up it said Program has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen ...

Laptop to PC [ 2 Answers ]

How to connect a laptop to PC.. so that I can transfer the files from PC to laptop

Laptop cd-rw [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get my cd-rw rom to work, it says D:\ is not accessible, Device is not ready. My bios is picking it up its in my computer, device manager is seeing it no problems. I'm using win 98 and I want to put in xp pro but have to get this cd rom to work first so I can use the xp disk. A virus scan...

Which laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Claire, I want a laptop for making home movies and I want to know what is the best one to get. I want good graphics, large memory and very portable. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Best Laptop for... [ 3 Answers ]

I use Dragon Speaking Naturally, and need at least 500 MHz. I also have a preference for something light, as I travel/write, and word processing is my main desire. I want something with a screen size around 10 or 11 inches. Sound Blaster (clone) is recommended. A (built-in) CDrw/DVD would be...

View more questions Search