Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmer1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2010, 07:20 AM
    I believe I am being scammed by a lady named Mary from Ghana. How can I be sure?
    I was emailed a picture of beautiful Girl, living in Ghana. After three weeks, I bought through westernunion a cell phone and minutes for her. Cost: $110.00 Then a week later I sent $850.00 for Visa and passport. Third a week later I sent $321 for blood test.
    My co-worker has married man from africa, so they know more about these matters than I. She looked at documents I was sent on reciepts and declared they may be fake. I want to believe, but ? Should I. I am about to buy ticket for travel.
    Please help me discover is this for real, or a scam. Thank you, sincerely Kmer1957
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmer1957 View Post
    I want to believe, but ? should I. I am about to buy ticket for travel. Please help me discover is this for real, or a scam. Thank you, sincerely Kmer1957
    Hello K:

If it was me, I'D DO the traveling FIRST to see if she's real. I would NOT pay for her to travel here.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 07:40 AM
    You are being scammed! Stop spending money,

Romance Scams - U.S. Embassy Accra, Ghana
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 29, 2010, 07:46 AM

Anybody. And I mean anybody that requests money on the internet, backed up with nothing but a promise, Is running a scam.
    Cut your loses and quit sending money. Good luck, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 08:34 AM

Yes, since the passport and visa is less than 300 dollars, it is a scam. Next it is not a blood test it is a physical.

It is a scam

Next if you are stupid enough still to send money for ticket, buy a prepaid ticket they can not cash in. then if they don't travel, you can get your money back, costs more but protects you.
    vwebb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 06:47 AM
    I am also talking with a girl from Ghana named Mary... I would like to send you her pic. And you could tell me if it is the same girl.
    Please contact me at... >E-mail Removed<. Thanks my friend
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 18, 2010, 06:56 AM
    Vweb, please read the comments that have already been posted as they answer a lot of issues you may already have.
    Eternal Plumber

May 18, 2010, 07:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vwebb View Post
    i am also talking with a girl from Ghana named Mary...i would like to send you her pic. and you could tell me if it is the same girl.
    please contact me at...>E-mail Removed<. thanks my friend
    Does it really matter if her names Mary, Ann or Jane? Most likely you're in contact with a Dude named Bubba in West Africa and the romance continues until you run out of money. Face it!
    You're getting scammed. Cut your loses and run!! Good luck, Tom
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vwebb View Post
    I believe I am being scammed by a lady named Mary from Ghana. How can I be sure?
    Hello v:

Here's how you can be sure. Send her lots of money. If she never shows up, you were scammed.

excon
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 08:05 AM

Why be so naïve? Find a girl the old fashion way, face to face.

We get a lot of things delivered these days. Clothes, appliances, exercise equipment, all sorts of cool stuff.

But you should never, ever, shop for chicks on the internet.

The saying goes, " A fool and his money are soon parted".

Don't be the fool.

Some guys in Ghana are getting rich off people like you.
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Why you be so naive? Find a girl the old fashion way, face to face.
    While I believe this to be true internet dating is a popular method of meeting people today, this will not change in the near future.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 09:15 AM
    If I throw on a dress and let you call me Mary, will someone send me money?
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Need a picture first.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 18, 2010, 09:51 AM
    This is the only one I have ;)

Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 09:52 AM
    You pay me.
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    TK, ( is Mary your stage name ? )
    What are you wearing? (pant! Pant! Slobber!) I can see the start of a beautiful relationship here. Just instrct me where to send the cash which I will have plenty of just as soon as I cash the 25 million pound check that my E mail just informed me I won on the Irish Sweepstakes. I'm waiting for them to transfer the money into my bank account that I gave them this morning. And when it comes through you and I can be together.
    Until then I remain Just the luckiest guy in the world! A lovely girl that wants me AND winning the Sweepstakes. How lucky can a guy get in one day? Waiting for both you and the money, Speedy
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 20, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Oh Speedy... for 25 Mil, I dug through my hope chest and found my special outfit I only wear on special occasions. Helping you spend that much money is worth it.

One condition, I am not shaving my beard, but legs, no problem. So get ready to be tickled.
    Attached Images

jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    While I believe this to be true internet dating is a popular method of meeting people today, this will not change in the near future.
    There is a huge difference between internet dating, and "Mary from Ghana" asking to be "purchased". I think we both know that fact.

And I also know that internet dating has it's drawbacks. People are not always completely honest.

Face to face is still the best way to see what you are getting into.
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2010, 04:54 PM

Mary,
    I saw your picture and I'm in love. "pretty in Pink" doesn't began th describe you.
    Just one thing. Can you cash a small $3500 check for me, (keep a hundred for your trouble.) and send me the rest. You know you can trust me to send you al least $10,000 when my winnings come in. If you will give me your account number I can save you the bother of cashing it yourself, (see I'm always thinking of your convenience my dear) Waiting for your reply and account number. Love and all that crap, Speedy
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2010, 06:34 PM

I just don't understand how sad and lonely these people have to be, to get fooled by these scams. Someone they don't know emails them and in a couple week, they will send 100's or 1000's of dollars

Esp with all the warnings out there. Even the TV specials where they went in and shown it was often men or 60 year old women talking on the phone, or doing the emails

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ghana passport fee for Ghana citizens [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know,the cost of a Ghanaian citizen is required to pay in Ghana,when applying for a new passport,for the first time, The person resides in Tema,and does he need to travel to Accra,to apply for a passport.

Does ghana have a declaration fee to leave ghana [ 5 Answers ]

I just wish to know if there is such a thing as a 4000aud fee for people to leave ghana

Name of movie: Killer named ghost or the ghost; man named king who escaped by falling [ 1 Answers ]

Killer named ghost or the ghost; man named king who escaped by falling out of a window; man who ghost thinks of as worthy of being his predecessor

Am I being scammed? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I check out a person who may or may not be scamming me. I have been scammed badly in the last six months and do not want it to happen again if I can help it. Thank you.

I've been scammed? [ 10 Answers ]

I moved 150 miles to another state for a job I was offered. I rented a house in the same town as the job. I moved in a month and a half ago. Since moving in they have had to cut a hole in the wall to fix plumbing, we have an air conditioner that doesn't work properly (doesn't cool below 83...

View more questions Search